[Solved] Problems w/ number formatting & Enter key in table

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Problems w/ number formatting & Enter key in table

Postby 3guysauto » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi, I've been using Open Office for a couple months to create table-based invoices. I have a blank copy of the invoice template in a document that I copy & paste and reuse for each new invoice & it's been working fine for a while. Today when I created a new invoice I'm having the following problems that I've never had before:

1. Pressing the "Enter" key inserts a line break instead of automatically advancing to the next cell (below current cell).
2. Numbers entered in decimal format have the decimal place stripped out when it's ".00" (i.e. when I type 20.00 it changes to 20 when I leave the cell).

Prior to today everything was formatted right & working perfectly. I'm having these same problems in the current invoice as well as all past invoices, so I think someone must have changed some Writer-wide setting(s) as opposed to it being a document or cell-specific formatting issue. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for how to change it back to the way it was before that will apply to all past/future documents I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Last edited by 3guysauto on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
3guysauto

Re: Problems w/ number formatting & Enter key in table

Postby RoryOF » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Possibly due to a Windows 10 update. Have you restarted your computer recently (power off, count twenty, power on)? That might help.

Did you, on starting OpenOffice, get a message asking you to log in with name and initials?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Deactivate the Number recognition for the table.
Enter has always led to a paragraph break in a Writer table..
Was your previous document with fields?
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby 3guysauto » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Thank you both for the info/tips!

Hagar Delest wrote:Deactivate the Number recognition for the table.

This fixed the problem, thanks!!! I thought that setting was cell-specific, but I right-clicked randomly in the table and unchecked "Number Recognition" and went into another document and it remembered the selection. Now my number entries are behaving normally again in all the files. :D

Hagar Delest wrote:Enter has always led to a paragraph break in a Writer table..
Was your previous document with fields?

Oh really? In that case I'm probably confusing the behavior with Calc which I use slightly too. I tried navigating the table in Writer with the arrow keys & that's working fine. I think I just got discombobulated when the numbers stopped working -- sorry to complicate the issue needlessly.

Thanks again for the advice & fast resolution! xoxo
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
3guysauto

Return to Writer