[Solved] Title pages keep flipping onto even numbered pages

Discuss the word processor

Re: Title pages keep flipping onto even numbered pages

Postby RoryOF » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:11 pm

nite hawk wrote: I think for now I am going to try to work with what I have got, and next time I write something, I will try to set things up properly ahead of time before I start...

You would be well advised to read (and even re-read) the documentation to which you have been directed in sundry posts, before starting any extended new work. Some experimentation (directed, not random clickitis) with small sample files is useful in the learning process.

It is most likely that what is happening is a result of misunderstanding and miss-configuration arising from that rather than problems from the earlier Word format (although that cannot be ruled out).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:05 pm

nite hawk wrote:It is possible that because I started out in Word and then saved it over to ODF format that there is some sort of weird scramble in the back ground somewhere...

I doubt it. Your next statement seems to show a misunderstanding about what the chapter start page style actually does to fix the original complaint.
nite hawk wrote:The "chapter titles page does seem to be working even without a "heading" attached to it, as when I tried it, on a left hand page ( also mirrored)--it forced it into the right hand position in a mirrored format...

The "chapter titles" page is supposed to be forced to the right. Your original complaint was that the chapter pages were "flipping onto even numbered pages". The page numbers were even because the page was a left page and all left pages are even numbered. For the page to have an odd number, it must be forced to the right. A blank page is also inserted before the chapter start page. Forcing the page to the right is exactly what forces the page to be odd numbered. However, the page is not "Mirrored". It is "Only Right". Compare the margin settings of your mirrored pages with the margin settings of your chapter start page. "Mirrored" page styles have "inner" and "outer" margin settings. "Only Right" page styles have "left" and "right" margins. You have to set the left and right margins to match the inner and outer margins of other pages
nite hawk wrote:The only problem is that somehow I do not have a page number attached to the "chapter titles" page..

That's should be easily fixed. Your mirrored pages probably have headers or footers with a page number field inserted in the header/footer. Your chapter start style knows nothing about those headers/footers/page numbers since the headers/footers/page numbers are defined in a completely different page style. You have to insert the header/footer/page number field on one chapter start page. That adds the header/footer/page number filed to the page style which will add them to all chapter start pages.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby nite hawk » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:09 am

Hello
It seems that my page breaks are working, and after putting a couple of page numbers onto my "chapter titles" pages, it started putting page numbers on my "chapter titles" pages by itself .. I do not explain it, just report it..
I want to thank everyone for all the effort you made to help me get this under control!!!!
I would like to give a thumbs UP for the support that is given on the apache forum site... Microsoft is all most impossible to get onto, and Libre -even though they have support it definitely is NOT as good as what is in Apache!!!
thumbs up!!!thanks!
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Postby nite hawk » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 am

the page breaks seem to be working ok, but the page numbers are all weird, It seem somehow I didn't get a page number entered in the information when I created chapter titles page, and when I enter a number manually on the page break drop down, it numbers all of the other chapter titles pages with the same number all the way down the book... Will I have to go back and re-do the page breaks individually and manually enter each of the page numbers on each of the page break-drop downs-- page break by page break...or individually on each page... I was waiting till I had every thing else down before making a table of contents..
thanks for all your help...
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 am

nite hawk,

please upload or share (by a link) YOUR sample document here. We can only guessing without it.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 am

I agree with Zizi64 - a sample document would stop us having to guess what you are doing or not doing.

Any text - be it a number or a message - entered in a page header/footer will echo to all instances of that Page Style. If variable information is required in a page header/footer it must be entered by means of a Field.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:30 pm

nite hawk wrote:It seems that my page breaks are working, and after putting a couple of page numbers onto my "chapter titles" pages, it started putting page numbers on my "chapter titles" pages by itself .. I do not explain it, just report it..

Read my previous instructions. Writer will display the correct number in a header/footer if you insert a page number field in the header/footer. If you just type a number in the header/footer, that number will be repeated on other chapter start pages just like any other text character is repeated.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby nite hawk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:17 am

I think I figured out why my page numbers were getting scrambled,,, I noticed that possibly due to editing, some how some of the "chapter titles" ( right page only-odd number only ) seemed to have gotten shoved -moved- onto what would have been a "even" numbered , left hand page,-even though there was a proper page break in place-- and the program would create either 2 "odd" numbered-right hand pages --back to back, so that the right hand -odd numbered page --the "chapter title" page would still be on the right hand side and still have an odd number.. ( It would skip a page number -Or add a page number )so that the "chapter title page" would still be on a proper format---(right hand odd numbered page)(At one point my page numbers went from 380 to 420 pages- so I knew something was wrong..)
When I discovered that, and worked on removing the page break and "wiggling" the default pages and the page break back to where it was supposed to be, and re-inserting the page break -- wiggling things around, the extra page numbers went back to normal -the page numbers re-appeared and I had the proper number of pages again.. I hope I explained this so it is under stood.. And also like I was told above --I used the "Insert-fields"- to fix the page number instead of the page break to re-number a page, and my chapter titles pages all got a proper number in place.. Why this happened and everything got jiggled I am not completely sure, but every thing seems to be working --for now.. thanks for all the help
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Postby nite hawk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 am

I think this is solved, but not sure how to designate it "solved"
thanks
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Previous

Return to Writer