Fonts change unpredictably

Discuss the word processor

Fonts change unpredictably

Postby sfdavis1089 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:44 pm

I'm working on a mathematical document with multiple fonts. Unfortunately, when I need to make a correction, my fonts change without warning; and even when I try to reverse a correction [Ctrl-Z], the font doesn't return to where it used to be. It's only the grace of G-d that this issue hasn't driven me to murder. How do I get my fonts to behave?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home
sfdavis1089

Re: Fonts change unpredictably

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Download and use the testfonts extension to ensure the fonts requested are actually installed on your computer. If they are not, OpenOffice will silently substitute a close fitting font.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby sfdavis1089 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't think it's downloading, What am I doing wrong?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Home
sfdavis1089

Postby keme » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:30 pm

sfdavis1089 wrote:I don't think it's downloading, What am I doing wrong?

First tell us what you are doing, then we can try to suggest what you might be doing wrong.
  • Did you find the testfonts extension? How? (e.g. Google, or "Get more extensions online" from the OpenOffice extension manager?)
  • If you found the right place, you would have been sent to Sourceforge website. Is that correct?
  • What kind of document are you working with? odt, doc, pdf, rtf, or something else? Is it something you have made by yourself, or a collaborative effort?
  • Are you using oo Math objects or some extension (ooLaTex, MathType) to create math-specific content?
keme
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for.

If the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available, and use that substitute font to display the text.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on a Windows PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer