ODF FORMAT

Discuss the word processor

ODF FORMAT

Postby nite hawk » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:01 am

I wrote my book in a very old Microsoft word program and now am working on formatting in open office writer as It seems more stable.. when I want to save something it asks me if I want to "save in current format" or "ODF" can anyone tell me the difference between the two formats, and which is the best format to save in??
thanks!!
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Re: ODF FORMAT

Postby FJCC » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:18 am

ODF (Open Document Format) defines the native formats for documents in OpenOffice. You should save in that format. If there is a reason that you have to export to another format, first complete and save the document in the ODF format and then export another version, using File -> Save As, in the other format. The layout of the document may not be preserved perfectly in a foreign format. If you just need to export the document for others to read, export as a PDF file (menu File -> Export as PDF), which will preserve the formatting.
Microsoft Office claims to read and write ODF documents but I do not know how successfully.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: ODF FORMAT

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:25 am

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer