Why oh why is the default view Print view?

Discuss the word processor

Why oh why is the default view Print view?

Postby RobinZ » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:50 am

What century are these dinosaurs living in? I'm in my 60's and cannot comprehend this lunacy. The natural way is to have the document open in the same view it was closed in. Is this really so difficult? Is this not a natural assumption on the part of the user? Are the designers caught in a time warp where they are still printing to their Dot Matrix machines and watching everything on their 14" CRT monitors/PS2 keyboards & mice/56k modem? Why is this not fixed? Who even prints these days? Maybe once every few months for some legal requirement?

Just downloaded LibreOffice and tried to save a template. It ignores what I save. Of course. Is there an answer? I don't want to use some bizarre format that almost nobody else uses like ODT. For simple documents I want to use a simple file system like RTF or DOC that can be read on a multitude of devices like ereaders for example. If I copy a folder of 100 files do I want to open each one and save it in the format needed? I doubt it!

Surely there is an answer that works. Using on Win7.

PS: There are few things more aggravating in tech these days than working with software that refuses to acknowledge (and my acknowledge I mean remember) the preferences of the user. Microsoft was bad for this for a while then woke up but still exhibits stubbornness at times.
RobinZ

Re: Why oh why is the default view Print view?

Postby RusselB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:28 am

Any documents that I have made always open in the same view it was in when closed.

As to your template, what format did you save it in? OpenOffice and LibreOffice use the .ott extension for Writer templates.
The Open Document Format is an internationally recognized file format.
You want simple, use .txt. RTF is not simple and .doc has many versions, not all of which are compatible with other versions using the same extension.

Please note that we are end users, not developers. If you want to put forth a suggestion to the developers, you can do so... though I would suggest you reconsider the language you use when making the request, as, imo, the style of language you have used in this, and your other post, lean towards calling the developers idiots. Please read Reporting bugs or suggestions

I'd also like to recommend you read How to ask a question on the forum and Users please read me
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RobinZ » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:10 am

I think you nailed it. I probably didn't save it exactly right. Or totally wrong....LOL. Thank you. I'll try again tomorrow as its late. Just wanted to thank you.
RobinZ

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:18 am

I don't want to use some bizarre format that almost nobody else uses like ODT.

The ODF (.odt, .ods, .odp, .odg, and the template types: .ott, .ots, .otp, .otg) is an international standard file format. It is the only one real open source document format for the multiplatform document editing (you can use it on Win, Mac, Linux, etc...), and for the long time compatibility. It is the best file format for the editable office documents today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.4; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:49 pm

If you don't want to save your work in the native file format of whatever program you are using, you are definitively using the wrong program.
If someone else needs to read your work, pass a PDF copy. Every smart phone (even not so smart ones) can read PDF perfectly well.
If you have to co-work with a user of MS Office, save your file as ODF and send a DOC copy. When you receive the next DOC version, save it as ODF, work with that and pass over DOC.
RTF is not an option.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby jrkrideau » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:25 pm

RobinZ wrote:What century are these dinosaurs living in? I'm in my 60's and cannot comprehend this lunacy. The natural way is to have the document open in the same view it was closed in. Is this really so difficult?

I think you need to identify yourself.

Fill in your name it Tools > Options > User Data and see what happens.
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:54 pm

jrkrideau wrote:
RobinZ wrote:What century are these dinosaurs living in? I'm in my 60's and cannot comprehend this lunacy. The natural way is to have the document open in the same view it was closed in. Is this really so difficult?

Right. OpenOffice stores each editor's view settings in the document. This requires that you 1) save in the native file format and 2) save your name in the options.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:40 pm

RobinZ wrote:For simple documents I want to use a simple file system like RTF or DOC that can be read on a multitude of devices like ereaders for example.

Never save files as .rtf or .doc. If you need a .rtf or .doc create a copy from the .odt.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RobinZ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:58 am

[quote="RTF is not an option.[/quote]

Why do you feel RTF is not worthy of our consideration? To me it seems so similar in features to DOC yet that seems to be far more accepted. I mean DOC not DOCX of course.
RobinZ

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:04 am

RobinZ wrote:Why do you feel RTF is not worthy of our consideration?

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation including why they can 50x larger than .odt files.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RobinZ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:05 am

jrkrideau wrote:

Tools > Options > User Data? What are you talking about? In the Control Panel/Profile here there is no option to fill in a name. And why would anyone fill in their name if they weren't professionally associated with this topic? We're here to better understand and use OpenOffice and LibreOffice, right? I don't think anyone cares who anybody is. They care what others say and what they hopefully can learn here. With all the psychos out there who in their right mind would post their real name anyway? Its so unnecessary.
LibreOffice 6.3.3.2, Win7x64 Ultimate
RobinZ

Postby RobinZ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 am

Villeroy wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:

Right. OpenOffice stores each editor's view settings in the document. This requires that you 1) save in the native file format and 2) save your name in the options.

I don't send letters to anyone so there's no need to identify me to anyone. I value my privacy, what little there is online.
RobinZ

Postby RobinZ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:13 am

John_Ha wrote:
RobinZ wrote:Why do you feel RTF is not worthy of our consideration?

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation including why they can 50x larger than .odt files.

I realize RTF and DOC are very limiting but I don't need anything more advanced right now. There are still a few things they support I need to learn. Meanwhile I'd love to be able to get LibreOffice to be able to default to Web View. I'll relook at how I saved that template. Must have messed that up.

Microsoft is certainly being very obstinate about not integrating OBF/OBT files into their program. Guess they realize they've got better leverage if they remain separate for as long as possible. Once more people start using OBF they'll have far less reason to purchase Microsoft Office, one of their big money makers. Its great that open source is winning this battle. Its rare that happens in the software world. Gradually people are waking up.
RobinZ

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 am

RobinZ wrote: I'd love to be able to get LibreOffice to be able to default to Web View.

If you save a file while it is in web view it will open in web view. If you save a file while in print view it will open in print view.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RusselB » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:05 am

The registration information is only stored on your computer in the OpenOffice User Profile, which is modifiable through Tools ->Options -> OpenOffice -> Data
This is different from the User Profile on the forum.
That information is used to track things like, where you stopped editing a file, so the next time you open that file it opens where you left off.
This information can easily be removed from any document that you do send out, and for the most part people don't know or care about this information unless it is for professional purposes.
You could enter Mickey Mouse for the user name and the system won't care.... just like, I suspect, 99%+ of the people that might see your work....again, with the exception of if it's for professional purposes.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RobinZ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:14 am

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Not sure where jrkrideau was coming from.
And that's MISTER Mouse to you!
RobinZ

Return to Writer