Receiving docx files in email

Discuss the word processor

Receiving docx files in email

Postby greemi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:39 pm

My operating system is Microsoft 10 and I am using OpenOffice version 4.1.7 as a word processor. I have just received a docx document in my email and it opens OK in OpenOffice but none of the graphics show. I have checked that the Options/OpenOffice Writer/View/Graphics and Objects box is ticked. Any ideas why the graphics do not show?
OpenOffice version 4.1.7
Windows 10
greemi

Re: Receiving docx files in email

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:06 pm

The .docx probably uses MS textboxes which are not part of the OOXML standard Microsoft misleads people into believing .docx files use. AOO does not support textboxes - LO does.

Search the Writer forum with textboxes or see Item 1 in [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby greemi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks for that and guess it is incompatibility which one has to live with. I will ask the sender to send the file to me as a PDF I only want to read it. Can you just explain what AOO and LO is?
Thanks in advance
OpenOffice version 4.1.7
Windows 10
greemi

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Apache Open Office and LibreOffice - both are forks of the original OpenOffice.org.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer