[Solved] Decimal formatting in Writer table

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Decimal formatting in Writer table

Postby LaRuminator » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Hey, all, think this is an easy question, but troubleshooting it myself has gotten time-consuming, so here we are.

I need to stop a table in Writer from auto-formatting numerals and adding a zero below a decimal point (e.g. .5 becomes 0.5 and I don't want the zero). Where should I go to change this cell formatting to never include a zero before a decimal, and also to never round decimals up or down to the nearest whole number?

I'm a recent convert to OpenOffice from Word for Mac, following Apple's sunsetting of support for older versions of MS Office. For years I've used a Word doc template for invoicing clients. Opening and editing these invoice docs in OpenOffice has generally been fine so far, except that the formatting from the Word version of these tables hasn't carried over to OpenOffice 100%. Appreciate your assistance, folks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 // MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
LaRuminator

Re: Decimal formatting in Writer table

Postby FJCC » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:00 pm

You can select the cells you want to affect then right click and either remove the selection from Number Recognition or select Number Format and set that to whatever you want. If you are not doing calculations with the numbers, the easiest thing may be to turn off Number Recognition.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: Decimal formatting in Writer table

Postby LaRuminator » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Fantastic. Both of those options do what I need, which is to make the numerals look good and consistent on the page, rather than calculate figures. Thank you!

Yeah, I'd consider this topic closed at this point. Appreciate how
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 // MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
LaRuminator

Return to Writer