.doc document won't upload to a MS Word based site

Discuss the word processor

.doc document won't upload to a MS Word based site

Postby golfguy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:16 am

Hi all.... GREAT site! If on the wrong forum please excuse me.

Maybe this won't work at all but thought I'd ask.
I created a Writer 3 page resume and cover letter and saved it as a .doc, then tried to attach it to a career website that uses MS Word. The Writer doc won't attach. For this site you'll know a document attached because on the site screen where you click "Upload", if it's an acceptable document, there's a "SEND" click button that turns color. In my case it does not. A few years back I encountered this with the same site and just brought my Writer doc over to my other laptop that has Word; I formatted it into a true Word doc and then was able attach and send it -- meaning the "SEND" click button turned color. (I'm trying to apply there again for a new position now and found the same issue is still there.) Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
golfguy

Re: .doc document won't upload to a MS Word based site

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am

Try the LibrOffice.
The LibreOffice has a higher compatibility with the foreign, obsolete and never standardized file formats like the MS binary .doc file type. And the LO can save into the half-standardized OOXML formats (.docx), but the Apache OpenOffice can not.

Note: there is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different file formats.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.3; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby esperantisto » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 am

LibreOffice has a higher compatibility with … MS binary .doc

Really? Can you substantiate it at least with a couple of samples? As far as I know, LibreOffice developers have not changed anything in the MS Office 97-2003 file filters as compared to OpenOffice.org 3.4.

But yes, trying LibreOffice might help, especially if the site accepts DOCX.
AOO 4.2.0 / LibO 5.x/6.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux 11.3 (32-bit) / 13.2 (64-bit)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Postby RusselB » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

The .doc format, has (at least) 3 different variations.
Using the Save As dialog allows one to save in Word 97/2000/XP .doc format, or Word 95 .doc format, or is Word 6.0 .doc format.
Each of these has discrepancies from the others, yet they are all .doc formats.
There may be other .doc formats as well, but those are the three that OpenOffice supports.
To get the right one for that website would require you to know which one the website required.
Also note that renaming a file to the .doc extension doesn't change the format, and it sounds like the site is checking the actual data format, rather than just looking at the file extension.
If you tried all three of the .doc formats mentioned, and the website didn't accept any of them, then there is nothing that can be done in OpenOffice.
As Zizi already suggested, you can try LibreOffice or, if that also doesn't work, you could try using Zamzar to convert the file to the correct version....presuming you can find out from the website just which .doc version it's actually looking for.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am

Really? Can you substantiate it at least with a couple of samples? As far as I know, LibreOffice developers have not changed anything in the MS Office 97-2003 file filters as compared to OpenOffice.org 3.4.

I have not exact information about it, but the name of the filter is
Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP
in the AOO, and the name of the filter is
Word 97-2003
in the LibreOffice. I do not think so if these filters are same.

Using the Save As dialog allows one to save in Word 97/2000/XP .doc format, or Word 95 .doc format, or is Word 6.0 .doc format.

Note: The LO has Word 97-2003 export filter only. The latest LO version can not save into the older MS binary formats today, but it can open the older format documents.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.3; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm

golfguy wrote:I created a Writer 3 page resume and cover letter and saved it as a .doc, then tried to attach it to a career website that uses MS Word.

What site does not accept the file?
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer