Cant acces file. ### instead of text

Discuss the word processor

Cant acces file. ### instead of text

Postby mikepassenier » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:29 pm

I was working on a document. In the meantime I have saved it several times. However, the document was still open when suddenly Windows 10 started an update. The update of W10 failed but was automatically undone. I opened the document and first got a choice to reset my profile (name, last name etc.). I canceled that. Then a choice of font in a small popup. OK clicked. Then a popup that the document is locked by another user, I can choose from read-only, make a copy and cancel. Whichever option I choose, I will get ###### instead of my text. I have tried safe mode. Nothing. Update Windows. Nothing. Tried to open with Microsoft Word. Nothing.
Ransomware win defender was already disabled so it can't be that. I am also the only user and administrator.

It especially pisses me of because off the ###. Id rather have it not open at all then open en show me the ###. Like why would someone come up with that programming. :crazy:

Anyone that can help?
Windows 10 64 bit. OpenOffice 4.1.6
mikepassenier

Re: Cant acces file. ### instead of text

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Your file is damaged beyond repair and will contain no usable information.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

Experience shows that you should not waste any time with your existing file - it will have no usable content. Concentrate on the recovery methods outlined in the tutorial.

You could download PhotoRec and allow it undelete any temporary files. You may or may not recover some, all or nothing of your file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Cant acces file. ### instead of text

Postby mikepassenier » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you for you reply.
Windows 10 64 bit. OpenOffice 4.1.6
mikepassenier

Return to Writer