Old type ToC

Discuss the word processor

Old type ToC

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:16 pm

In older books a Chapter is often headed by a synopsis of the topics within the chapter.
Chapter.png

Then this synopsis is repeated in the Table of Contents, as in
ToC.png

Can anyone suggest a method of generating such a Table of Contents in OpenOffice? The synopsis is hand generated by the author.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Old type ToC

Postby John_Ha » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 pm

Rory

Manually :super:

Could it be simplified with a field? Type in the field at the chapter to create the synopsys. The text will automatically appear in a manually edited ToC where the field is inserted after the chapter.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:25 pm

Actually, easier to print a pdf image of the book!

But out of interest, any suggestions?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:35 pm

OK< I've found a method. Format the synopses in a lower heading style, say Heading 2, and format the ToC so that the Heading 2 entries do not use the page numbers

In my sample file I omitted to kill the tab leaders for the Heading 2 style, but that is merely a formatting detail.

A little playing with the styles for Content 2 can help give a nice look to the ToC.
Attachments
Old_Style_ToC.odt
(10.73 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
RoryOF

Postby musikai » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, cool idea to use heading styles for that.
Here in LO only the one using one paragraph or multiple paragraphs breaks will survive when updating the TOC.
The ones with Line breaks will collapse.

I played a bit to duplicate the layout of your original.
TOC.PNG
Attachments
Old_Style_ToC-1-mod.odt
(20.94 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html
musikai
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Once I got the problem solved I didn't worry about posting an updated formatting to the thread. I reckon anyone with a similar problem will know enough about the fine detail of formatting to sort it for himself.

I often like to print out (being old fashioned, liking books) copies of older texts; my page and type sizes differ from the originals (I use A5, as my printers all handle A4 duplex) and hence need to renumber the paging shown on the ToC.

Indexes are more of a problem!
RoryOF

Postby keme » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:12 pm

You can also add other styles to the ToC, without defining them as part of the outline structure. Just make a "Synopsis" paragraph style and start with that in every chapter. In the ToC dialog, tick "Additional styles" and add the new style into the mix, on a suitable ToC level. You may want to adjust the corresponding "Content x" style accordingly. This avoids cluttering the navigator with unnecessary junk, and also keeps the synopsis from messing up section numbering schemes and such.

Structure wise, the synopsis belongs to the same level as the chapter heading, but content wise it is more like "text body" level. Either way, adding another outline level for it seems wrong.
keme
Volunteer

Return to Writer