Table Field Properties Format (Input Mask)

Creating tables and queries

Table Field Properties Format (Input Mask)

Postby oberwil » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 pm

I want to be able to type phone numbers into a Field in a table; not a Form, and have them automatically formatted in the fashion of
(###)###-####. I tried entering some formats in the Format Property(Field Format). But what I get is when I Tab over to this field it
shows (###)-###-####. Then I have to erase each # and enter the number. Second after entering the data, when I Tabe to the next Field
The Formatted Field gets the formatting string added to the Field, e.g enter (707)523-0922, then get (707)523-0922(###)###-####.

So am I using this Property incorrectly??

Thanks

Howard
oberwil

Re: Table Field Properties Format (Input Mask)

Postby kabing » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't think you can use input masks in tables, I think it works only in forms. But I could be wrong...

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
kabing
Volunteer

Postby brockman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:21 pm

It is possible. I just did it and when I loaded the next day the database had to be recovered and my changes were lost. This has happened twice during my development process:(

When I find the answer for the third time, I will try to remember to post here. It absolutely is possible and is very handy because then you do not have to make a bunch of masks for your forms. I have posted this so I can find this post again.
LibreOffice 3.5.7.2
Linux Mint Maya 3.2.0-23-generic (x86_64)
XFCE 4
brockman

Postby F3K Total » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Try this
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
(000")-"000"-"0000

R
    MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
    my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
F3K Total
Volunteer

Postby brockman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:19 am

This does not work for me. I have a varchar not an integer, because it's really a contact field not a phone number so could contain an email or who knows what.

It's possible that I have not entered the thing in the gui correctly???

I remember there is a problem with the "@". It really wants an "@" symbol in there. This "@" symbol appears to display the entire cell. It's killing me that i can't find the solution again :crazy: I remember the solution didn't make sense to me and that I found it in a stupid place. aol forum or something....
LibreOffice 3.5.7.2
XFCE 4
brockman

Postby brockman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:05 am

I have found a solution for me. I was trying to do this so it displayed a phone number correctly in a form-table-grid thing.

I found out you can right click the column, change to a pattern field and then make a mask.

While I found this tedious, I cannot find how to do it to the table, I'm going with this. Technically, this is not a answer to the question, but perhaps it will help someone who is searching for how to format a phone number in a table grid.
LibreOffice 3.5.7.2
XFCE 4
brockman

Return to Tables & Queries