Recover auto save document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Recover auto save document

Postby Forrestsawesome » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:13 am

I was working on a document and i saved it periodically. Well last night it auto saved right before brown office crashed on me. I’m trying to get the last auto save on it but can’t get the path link to open in the tool settings. What am I doing wrong?
Forrest Marsh open office 4.1.7
Forrestsawesome

Re: Recover auto save document

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What OS? Please add it in your signature.
Check your /backup folder, see [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile.
If the file has not been recovered after AOO restart, then few chance to recover anything at all. The manual save is the only good way to protect your data while working.
There are some tutorials to recover files, see if it that one helps: [Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####. It is not the same issue but the hints can also apply.
LibreOffice 7.0.3 on Xubuntu 20.10 and LibreOffice 7.0 (portable) on Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Re: Recover auto save document

Postby John_Ha » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Forrestsawesome wrote:I’m trying to get the last auto save on it but can’t get the path link to open in the tool settings. What am I doing wrong?

If AutoSave is switched ON, the first AutoSave of fred.odt creates a new file C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\backup\fred.odt_0.odt which is the complete file (with all edits and added graphics) as it is at the time of the AutoSave. This file is then updated on each AutoSave and carries the time stamp of the last update. An AutoSave only takes place if an edit has been made and the AutoSave time has elapsed. The files are hidden files - see the tutorial below to make them visible.

Some more methods are given in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files which gives detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting