FEATURE - Suggest NOT defaulting to OpenOffice File Dialogs

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

FEATURE - Suggest NOT defaulting to OpenOffice File Dialogs

Postby TriggerDingus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:24 am

Greetings, all.
I recently migrated from LibreOffice and wanted to share an experience that I suspect many others new to OO run into as well. Judging by an old thread that I found and will link to later, I'm confident of this.

The OO file dialog boxes are a major handicap to person such as myself who have many saved Places/Bookmarks, therefore, it becomes a major hurdle to open and save files. Some people would simply suggest 'how' to navigate to the paths I mention, but this isn't helpful - I know how to do that and I have bookmarks because the paths are long and tedious. I wouldn't bother mentioning this, but it was a challenge for me to find how to correct this issue through a simple checkbox buried in the settings. Perhaps OO defaults to its own dialog boxes for a reason, though I'm not sure why it wouldn't default to the environment dialogs the user employs in every other place within their OS.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81618&p=377840&hilit=file+dialog+box+gnome#p377840 is the old thread I refer to. As I write this post, the graphic within has been viewed 5,840 times and that suggests (to me, anyway) that this is an issue for people.

Just a suggestion on my part. If others respectfully disagree, I certainly appreciate that as well. I simply wanted to bring up the suggestion because of the issues this created for me in my daily workflow.
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Pop 20.10
TriggerDingus

Re: FEATURE - Suggest NOT defaulting to OpenOffice FIle Dial

Postby Villeroy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 am

You know that all Linux distributions install their integrated version LibreOffice because OpenOffice is no longer under active development.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby TriggerDingus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:19 am

Wow - I didn't know that. Quite helpful.
I actually switched because of some old bugs in LibreOffice that weren't getting fixed.
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Pop 20.10
TriggerDingus

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:29 am

The OO dialogs may be the default on Linux because that's the only option on KDE. The checkbox you found in options to switch to the system dialogs isn't even available on KDE.
AOO 4.1.9 on Ubuntu MATE 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting