Lost Documents

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Lost Documents

Postby Doug Cheryl Barlow » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Last night I was working on several documents when my computer started to freeze up. I saved all my files and shut down (I had to do a hard shutdown). Today when I tried to access my files, several of them had been converted to ASCII files showing only squares. Anyone know how I can recover my documents/
OpenOffice version 4.12 on Windows 10
Doug Cheryl Barlow

Re: Lost Documents

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Previous experience tells that your file will be utterly corrupt. Try the methods in this post, as soon as possible, in the hope of recovering part or all of it.

The damage is due to power-off of computer, preventing the file housekeeping being written to disk because of the crash.

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

There will be nothing usable in your damaged file - waste no time with it. Try the recovery methods above.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Xubuntu 20.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting