[Solved] Change of Appearance

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] Change of Appearance

Postby SimonF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Ok, this might be a rather naive query but something has happened to my OO and I am confused.

I use OO Writer and Calc. I went into a shortcut to a Calc doc this evening (something I do several times a day) and it suddenly asked me to register??? I defeated that only to find that the appearance of the spreadsheet had changed - nothing too crucial but irritating.

Then I went into Writer and it has sort of frames around documents. Again not crucial but irritating. There are other changes too like side bars that weren't there before.

I looked into updates and the setting is to check weekly but the "install automatically" is unchecked.

Being of a certain age I like to keep things exactly how I want them. I am hoping someone can tell me how this has happened and whether I can roll it back.

Thanks for any help

Btw - when I look at version it says 4.1.5
Last edited by SimonF on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 Windows 7
SimonF

Re: Change of Appearance

Postby RusselB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:13 pm

Your initial observance about the registration request simply means that your OpenOffice User Profile has been renamed, deleted or you have upgraded to a version that stores the profile in a different location.
The registration information is only stored on your computer.
OpenOffice has never had an automatic install for updates, but it did (does?) have an automatic notification of updates being available. This feature has not worked in months, but even when it did work, you still had to download the full updated version and do a manual installation.
Your defeat of the registration may have caused a change in the settings stored in your profile so that information the spreadsheet was requesting from the profile is now different.
This also would explain the change in Writer.
As to being able to roll it back, that would depend on why you had to go through the registration process again, as the three main reasons (as previously given) are not the only reasons.
If the reason was that you updated to a version that stored your profile in a different location, then you just need to locate the old location and copy or move it to the new location (I'd actually recommend copying it, rather than moving it, as that way you get a back-up).
If it was renamed, then it just needs to be renamed again. If it was deleted, then recovery might be possible, but subject to the amount of drive usage your system has had,
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: Change of Appearance

Postby SimonF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks for that. When things change and I haven't (as far as I know) done anything to warrant the changes it really irritates me.

I haven't updated or changed anything at all regarding OO so why the profile location should have been affected I have no idea. That said, I am having problems with this laptop - it has started freezing and I am having to pull the plug. Perhaps in doing this I have also affected OO.

I found it really interesting that if the profile has moved then the settings may be lost. At least that partially explains what has happened. I know I am not imagining it all because I now find that auto correct (which I loathe) has also turned on.

Anyway I am now redoing my personal settings and will ponder on what has caused the profile issue.

I really do appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks.
SimonF

Re: [SOLVED] Change of Appearance

Postby RusselB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Pulling the plug could affect the profile, including making it corrupted, as the profile is updated while OpenOffice is in use.
The location of the profile has changed with each major release of OpenOffice. ie: OpenOffice 2.X stored in one location, 3.X in another and 4.X in yet another.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: [SOLVED] Change of Appearance

Postby SimonF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Need to get the underlying problem sorted! Thanks again.
SimonF

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting