[Solved] How do you get a clean tfr of .wps/.xlr files

Not sure where to post? Post here!

[Solved] How do you get a clean tfr of .wps/.xlr files

Postby hoping » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 pm

My former desktop was a Dell Dimension 8300 bought in 2004 pre-loaded with Windows XP which I used for all personal documents and records in what I thought was "Word" and "XL" formats. That PC recently died but all my files are backed up on an external hard drive which I now want to transfer onto my new desktop (HP Envy) which came loaded with Windows 8 and not much more. I would prefer not to purchase any other Windows programme and hope instead to use OpenOffice which I downloaded a few days ago.
My saved documents have been uploaded to the new PC from my external hard drive but not, it seems, in a clean, totally readable fashion. Some ".WPS" files are openable but have many lines of "y" letters then some text, then more "y"s and other random letters and symbols covering many pages. Scrolling down some documents eventually have the original text though some are incomplete and some are just nonsense. My ".xlr" files don't open at all eventually taking me to a page inviting me to "look for an app in the store" in order to read them. Other imported saved files under "Txt", "MHTL" and "Microsoft Word 9" format open perfectly>
Is there a method of transferring all my Windows XP files to OpenOffice so that I can read and use them? I particularly want to be able to continue to use the XL files which contain records I want to keep up to date. Or must I purchase Windows Office or something similar?
Hope someone out there can help.
Last edited by thomasjk on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 3.1 installed on Windows 8
hoping

Re: How do you get a clean tfr of .wps/.xlr files

Postby thomasjk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Openoffice V3.4.1 cannot open .wps files however Libreoffice can http://www.libreoffice.org/download. Calc the OOo spreadsheet should be able to open the .xlr files although I have no personal experience with this. The other option is to convert the .xlr files at http://www.zamzar.com/.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Postby thomasjk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 pm

I found this solution here in this forum viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11739
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Postby hoping » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks very much for the response. I have succeeded by way of the file conversion, via zamzar.com, which was easy, quick and effective in converting the .wps and the .xlr files to readable word (.doc) and XL formats. Other suggestions within the referred historic thread didn't seem relevant to my specific problem (relating to .wps and .xlr) and didn't work. I tried but couldn't open the existing xlr files with OpenOffice "calc" but it was automatic after downloading the converted files from zamzar. I didn't try LibreOffice as an alternative to OpenOffice though.
Open Office 3.1 installed on Windows 8
hoping

Return to Beginners