Am I in over my head?

Not sure where to post? Post here!

Am I in over my head?

Postby JRT2006 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:10 am

Well, theres no better forum for me to post in than the 'Beginners' forum.

Basically, my friends and I are into the whole NFL Mock Draft craze. I've begun working on a tool to make our 'mocking' easier for us, but I'm at the point where I sit back and wonder, "is this even possible?"
My grand idea was to have a form with the Nfl Draft Order on it, each 'next record' click would move to the next pick. For instance, the first Record would have the Kansas City Chiefs as they have the #1 pick in the draft. But! here is where I start to doubt myself, I'd would like to have calculated options pop up on the record, where on the Kansas City's pick three boxes below would show two suggested choices based on certain criteria. The criteria would be best value (highest ranked player on the board that meets the low, medium, high, or very high priority position ranking), Highest need (best available player for a very high priority position no matter what rank they are on the board). When you click to the next record (or next draft pick), the Jacksonville Jaguars would show up with pick #2 and the suggestion boxes would offer different prospects based on Jacksonvilles team needs and what meets the criteria. We have our big boards created with prospects ranked 1 through 300 based on how good we think they are detailed with their positions, and other information. We have our team needs ranked on; not a priority, low priority, medium priority, high priority, and very high priority. Its just the 'suggestion' boxes that are giving me concern, if there are big formulas I would need to input, I'm not sure i would be able to do so, at least not without some more studying and help resquests on the forum.

But first, i'd like to know if it is even possible?
(sorry if this is hard to follow, i tried to describe my image as best as I could)
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8
JRT2006

Re: Am I in over my head?

Postby Villeroy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

Of course it is possible to do this with a computer and certainly you are over your head because your problem description is entirely non-technical. However, I don't think that any IT guy would consider an office suite as an appropriate tool for this task (may be for a quick&dirty spreadsheet draft but that would not be usable).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby JRT2006 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

I had a feeling what I visioned was a little too technical. It sounds good but the NFL would likely be over by the time I finished it. What if rather then a suggestion box, a list of prospects that fit a need showed up. I've created a query that lists every team, every need for that team, and every player at that position.
If the records falls on Kansas City's pick, a table showing on players that fit Kansas City's shows.

?? More simple maybe?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8
JRT2006

Postby Villeroy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:16 pm

JRT2006 wrote:If the records falls on Kansas City's pick, a table showing on players that fit Kansas City's shows.

This is what subforms do.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Beginners