Apache OO v/s OpenOffice.org

Not sure where to post? Post here!

Apache OO v/s OpenOffice.org

Postby cursorcowboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:04 am

I've used OOo for several years and have many .SXW files which I would not want to loose.

Is Apache OO installed over the older OOo or is it entirely separate and I simply uninstall OOo before installing Apache?

Would I be able to subsequently use the OOo .SXW files with Apache?

Thank you.
WinXPPro; OOO330m20 (Build: 9567)
cursorcowboy

Re: Apache v/s OOO

Postby acknak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:20 am

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

If I understand your question correctly, I would say that AOO is the current home & developer for the code that went into OOo; there is no more OOo, as such. New versions of AOO are meant to completely replace older versions of OOo.

Of course, you don't have to replace the old versions; you can continue to run OOo as long as you like, or you can run both.

I believe there is a firm plan to remove support for some of the older document formats; I don't recall if .sxw files are part of that but I imagine they are.

Note that OOo already includes a batch tool that can convert documents from .sxw to .odt format. See File > Wizards > Document Converter ...
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: Apache OO v/s OpenOffice.org

Postby RGB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 am

AFAIK, only the binary format used before OOo 1.0 (StarOffice 5.2 and previous) will be dropped (.sdw, .sdc and .sdi...)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
RGB

Re: Apache OO v/s OpenOffice.org

Postby RoryOF » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am

If the current version opens your older files, perhaps it is time to migrate them to the newer file formats.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Beginners