[Solved] System corruption after opening file._xlsx

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

[Solved] System corruption after opening file._xlsx

Postby Mark6175 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Hello,
Today I tried to open a file sent to me by a friend with a faulty ._xlxs suffix. Which I didn't notice at first. Open office didn't open the file. Instead it turned all my shortcuts into OpenOffice logos, and most programs now will not start. Some programmes now respond by showing an ASCII Filter Options box, and then open a gibberish text document, the only readable part of which says 'this program cannot be run in DOS mode.'
Malwarebytes and Norton say I have no problems, but I can't run any programs.

Does anyone know what has happened?
Last edited by Mark6175 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Mark6175

Re: System corruption after opening faulty file with xlxs su

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:12 pm

Do you really mean "shortcuts"? Where are these shortcuts? Are they supposed to open programs or data files? If possible, please upload a screen shot showing some of the shortcuts that have changed.
AOO 4.1.8 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Malwarebytes and Norton ARE programs, so it seems that you can run some programs after all.
AOO 4.1.8 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:27 pm

Have you updated Norton and MalwareBytes definitions recently? If not, I suggest you do so and run them again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Mark6175 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:03 am

Bill wrote:Do you really mean "shortcuts"? Where are these shortcuts? Are they supposed to open programs or data files? If possible, please upload a screen shot showing some of the shortcuts that have changed.

Mostly program files. Problem solved now thanks. See explanation below.
Mark6175

Postby Mark6175 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 am

RoryOF wrote:Have you updated Norton and MalwareBytes definitions recently? If not, I suggest you do so and run them again.
Thanks for the answers. I have fixed the problem.

OpenOffice was not able to be uninstalled from the Apps list in settings. I tried deleting the OpenOffice directory, but it kept telling me there were files in use.
By deleting all but the undeletable files and rebooting I was eventually able to delete the OpenOffice folders. This meant that instead of trying to run web browsers in OpenOffice , I got a message that OpenOffice was not working.
This left me with few operable .exe files. It looks like any .exe files that were open when I tried to open the spreadsheet were all trying to run as ._xlxs
I had to edit the registry to remove all mentions of the file type. I could only do this by entering safe mode as the command prompt .exe would not run, nor would Task Manager.

Somehow trying to open a spreadsheet rewrote the registry to open all .exe files as ._xlxs files using OpenOffice.
Mark6175

Postby Villeroy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:06 am

Kill any running OpenOffice process.
You can also install LibreOffice while AOO is running.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby RusselB » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:35 am

Mark6175 wrote:Somehow trying to open a spreadsheet rewrote the registry to open all .exe files as ._xlxs files using OpenOffice.

This sounds like a serious infection of your system.
I know you said that you checked with Norton and Malwarebytes, but at what level of detection did you check?
If it wasn't at the highest level available, then, please, recheck using the most stringent settings available.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: [Solved] System corruption

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:32 am

I agree with RusselB; this sounds like some form of infection. Best to ensure Norton and MalwareBytes are updated and rescan at highest level of detection.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to MS Windows