OpenOffice document is suddenly blocked

Discuss the word processor

OpenOffice document is suddenly blocked

Postby AwaKeSoKii » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help me with this one.

I'm writing an essay for school and I'm halfway through. Yesterday after my writing session, I turned off my computer as usual. When I wanted to continue my work I moved the cursor onto the icon and I already had a strange feeling.

The icon was different than before, and it now differed from the other Writer document symbols. After double-clicking, a window asking for register with name and surname came up which I had never seen before. After completing everything yet another one appeared named "ASCII Filter options" asking for surreal stuff like language, writing details etc. Again, it had never been shown to me before.

And for a third time a window popped up, telling me that the document is already in use and that its security settings have been changed by a different user.

The real surprise was yet to come. I finally reach the writer document to find nine pages of hashtag symbols. Everything was gone. Encrypted. After trying absolutely EVERYTHING I am starting to lose hope. Other users have been dealing with the same error but their eventual solution was not of any help to me.

I sincerely ask you to help me, for I am really desperate.

Best regards.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10 Pro 1903
AwaKeSoKii

Re: OpenOffice document is suddenly blocked

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Such corruption can happen if the power to the computer fails when the file is open. It can also occur if the power is cut or the laptop lid closed over-hastily, before the OpenOffice housekeeping information has been flushed to disk from the internal write buffers in the computer or the hard disk.

Use the methods in this tutorial to try to find temporary copies of your file used by OO. Do this as soon as possible.
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files

Waste no time with your #### file. It will have no usable content.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby AwaKeSoKii » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 pm

This is devastating. So many hours of hard work. Thanks for the answer.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10 Pro 1903
AwaKeSoKii

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Try the tutorials - their methods often work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer