[SOLVED] Transfer AOO documents between two PC's

Talk about anything at all....

[SOLVED] Transfer AOO documents between two PC's

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 am

Hello all! I want to transfer Oo documents from one of my PC's to my other PC. Both run Oo. A clear step by step procedure would be greatly appreciated :D . Thanks Jim
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Re: TRANSFER Oo DOCUMENTS BETWEEN TWO PC'S

Postby RusselB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 am

Easiest method is to plug a USB flash/thumb drive into a USB port on the computer that currently has the files.
Then use Windows Explorer (based on the fact that your profile shows you to be using Windows 7) to locate the files.
Select the files, then drag & drop them to the drive letter created when the USB drive was plugged in.
After all of the files have been copied (I recommend copying to moving them) to the USB drive, follow the directions for safe removal of the USB drive.
Remove the USB drive, then plug it in to the new computer.
You'll probably be prompted for an action when the drive is recognized by the new computer. Without knowing just what options you are presented with, I'm unable to tell you which option I would recommend you choose, aside from stating that it should be one that deals with copying/moving the files to the hard drive.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: TRANSFER Oo DOCUMENTS BETWEEN TWO PC'S

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 am

If both of PC's are on same LAN then you can copy the files onto another PC used the LAN connection.

If both of PC's have internet connection (but they are not on same LAN), then you can send the files by e-mail...

...etc ...etc ...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Transfer AOO documents between two PC's

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks Zizi64. That Same Lan method intrigues me. How do I tell if I am on the same Lan? Both PC's run off the same Xfinity unit that provides the internet connection. I am thinking this unit is a modem. I looked it up and How to geek says this: https://www.howtogeek.com/353283/what-i ... twork-lan/. What else can I found out to tell or test if I am on the same Lan?
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Browse the network in your Windows explorer and if you see the other machine, then it's OK. It has to be configured for sharing dedicated folders.
If you're lost, use a USB key, much easier.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Hager, the usb method would be ongoing & tedious seems to me, although it'd work. The problem is I have one pc (PC1) that runs really good but will not print document to my brother printer even after I install brand new factory software, like I just did. But the other pc (PC2) prints like a charm. There you have it, in a nutshell. I'll try browsing my network in Windows explorer to see if I can see the other machine. Sharing dedicated folders sounds would seem to be a workable solution. Now to figuring out how to browse with windows explorer. Stay tuned. Jim
Last edited by JamesEJ on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 pm

How is Brother printer connected? Is it USB to one computer, or set up as a network printer?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm

To RoryOF: there is one usb cord from the single printer which then plugs into PC1 or PC2. I have no idea what a network printer is, so I cannot answer that part of your question. sorry. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:40 pm

HAGER. Got the windows explorer shortcut folder icon but cannot find the network to browse. Hmmm Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:44 pm

OK, so you are switching the printer by plugging from one computer to the other. And it works on one, but not on the other? Is the printer software installed on both computers?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 pm

To All, I am able to go to my windows explorer "folder" shortcut, and by just clicking it on Libraries I can then view documents. there is a bunch of documents. I'll try to see I there is any recent ones I made or not. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:35 pm

RoryOF wrote:OK, so you are switching the printer by plugging from one computer to the other. And it works on one, but not on the other? Is the printer software installed on both computers?

there are 2 PC's side by side. PC 1 is on the left. PC2 is on the right. On PC1. I installed a brand new factory program for the subject Brother printer, but PC1 still does not print. The other PC has always printed good but its general use, other than printing, is really poor. Soooo, I want to create a document on PC1, then send or move that document to PC2 to be able to print it.
Last edited by JamesEJ on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:48 pm

To All. In my Libraries>documents, are only Oo documents from waaay waaay back when. No current Oo documents appear. Go figure? :crazy: Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 pm

I don't know if Windows 7 autodetected printers (i'm 10+ years away from Windows!); Plug printer into PC1, turn it on, start PC1; reinstall the printer software? Does PC1 now find the printer? If so, your problem may be solved. Note that OpenOffice may find a printer only if the printer is online (i.e., plugged in and turned on) at OO startup time. I'm so far away from Windows in time that I cannot remember.

It may also be possible to leave printer on PC2, and Share it to PC1; I presume both PCs are connected to the same router, which would put them on the same network. But you may need on the ground help to do that.
RoryOF

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 pm

RoryOF wrote:I don't know if Windows 7 autodetected printers (i'm 10+ years away from Windows!); Plug printer into PC1, turn it on, start PC1; reinstall the printer software? Does PC1 now find the printer? If so, your problem may be solved. Note that OpenOffice may find a printer only if the printer is online (i.e., plugged in and turned on) at OO startup time. I'm so far away from Windows in time that I cannot remember.

It may also be possible to leave printer on PC2, and Share it to PC1; I presume both PCs are connected to the same router, which would put them on the same network. But you may need on the ground help to do that.

Ok I'll try the sequence that you suggested. Can't hurt but if it works YAY. I do not know what you mean by asking if PC1 is "find the printer". If the printer prints from PC 1, then it does.

Your other possibility, to leave printer on PC2, and share it to PC1, does sound really interesting. And Yes both PC1 & PC2 are connected to the xfinity router, via ethernet cables.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Some operating systems - and as I said, I don't know if Win 7 is one of these - will detect a turned on printer when the operating system starts up, identify it, and try to download and install the drivers for it. If the correct drivers are already installed, it will use them to drive the printer it has just discovered.

I am now beyond my exact knowledge of Window 7 and later.
RoryOF

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm

RoryOF wrote:Some operating systems - and as I said, I don't know if Win 7 is one of these - will detect a turned on printer when the operating system starts up, identify it, and try to download and install the drivers for it. If the correct drivers are already installed, it will use them to drive the printer it has just discovered.

I am now beyond my exact knowledge of Window 7 and later.

On the last install of the printer's factory's OS, windows did produce its drivers in the notification area. Bus alas, that PC1 still will not print an Oo document :(
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I sure would like to explore this possible solution that RoryOF introduced: "It may also be possible to leave printer on PC2, and Share it to PC1; I presume both PCs are connected to the same router, which would put them on the same network. But you may need on the ground help to do that."
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby thomasjk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 pm

JamesEJ wrote:I sure would like to explore this possible solution that RoryOF introduced: "It may also be possible to leave printer on PC2, and Share it to PC1; I presume both PCs are connected to the same router, which would put them on the same network. But you may need on the ground help to do that."

The downside is that whichever PC the printer is connected to must be on for the other PC to use the printer.

Modern printers are almost always wireless enabled - if so, connect it directly to the router by wifi.

You may be able to buy a wifi adapter for it or see How to convert any USB printer into a wireless Wi-Fi printer
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

John_Ha wrote:
JamesEJ wrote:I sure would like to explore this possible solution that RoryOF introduced: "It may also be possible to leave printer on PC2, and Share it to PC1; I presume both PCs are connected to the same router, which would put them on the same network. But you may need on the ground help to do that."

The downside is that whichever PC the printer is connected to must be on for the other PC to use the printer.

Modern printers are almost always wireless enabled - if so, connect it directly to the router by wifi.

You may be able to buy a wifi adapter for it or see How to convert any USB printer into a wireless Wi-Fi printer

I have no problem with both pc's being turned on. wireless? Did't I make it clear that ethernet cables connect the router to each PC? Thus, to me, your sentences 2 & 3 make no sense.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 pm

If the printer is wifi enabled as well as the USB which we know it has, it is possible for both computers to address it over the wifi link from the router. The computers speak to the router over the ethernet cables, and the router in turn speaks to the printer over wifi.
RoryOF

Postby JamesEJ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 pm

RoryOF wrote:How is Brother printer connected? Is it USB to one computer, or set up as a network printer?

I may need two usb cables or a usb splitter, don't know. Right now I have one end of a USB cable plugged into the printer. The other end I plug into either PC1 or PC2.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RusselB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Check if your printer supports wireless connections. If it does, then hook it up using the wireless connection.
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby JamesEJ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:38 am

RusselB wrote:Check if your printer supports wireless connections. If it does, then hook it up using the wireless connection.

Easy words to say. Not sure what the point is tho. The factory just gave me a download to set the printer up, not some wireless method that you are talking about. I don't get it .
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby JamesEJ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:48 am

Maybe this idea will clarify matters. To someone out there who actually really & truly knows. (1)Exactly what is a wireless printer? (2) A wireless router? (3) A wired printer? (4) A wired router? Once answered correctly, then we should be on the same page, it would seem. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RusselB » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:23 am

1) A wireless printer is one that can connect to your computer via your router, which can be part of your modem, which is required for you to connect to the internet.
It's been over 10 years since I saw a printer that didn't have a wireless option. Note: The wireless connection is an option, and some printers require a wired connection for the initial setup.
3) A wired printer must use a cable (usually USB) to connect to your computer.
2) A wireless router allows multiple items (eg: computers, laptops, cell phones, tablets, televisions) to connect to the internet using a wireless signal.
Most routers these days are classified as wireless, even though they have the option for a wired connection.
4) A wired router, which I've only seen in some old movies, requires a cable using a special connector called RJ-55 (looks like a big phone plug) to connect to the items using the router.
If you have purchased your router within the past 10 years, it's probably a wireless router. Likewise with your printer, but I'd reduce the time span to the past 5 years.
If you are working with newly purchased equipment that is older than that, you might want to consider upgrading. These days you can get a decent wireless printer and router for under $100 CDN each.
RusselB

Postby robleyd » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 am

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/expl ... 14014.html

https://www.lifewire.com/wired-vs-wirel ... ing-816352

Much more available via a web search.

In respect of your original question, using a USB stick would be the quickest means to solving your problem.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby JamesEJ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:59 am

robleyd wrote:https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/explanation-wireless-vs-wired-printers-14014.html

In respect of your original question, using a USB stick would be the quickest means to solving your problem.

Yeah, from the looks of it & although a pain, both the 1st comenter and you might well have the best answer. The rest of it looks to be a well intended but still garbled-up mess. So I created a dedicated folder on the one flash drive I had at least some space on, and ordered from ebay a new one to make it a dedicated flash drive for my immediate project. Thanks. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Postby RusselB » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am

JamesEJ wrote:
robleyd wrote:https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/explanation-wireless-vs-wired-printers-14014.html

Yeah, from the looks of it & although a pain, both the 1st comenter and you might well have the best answer. The rest of it looks to be a well intended but still garbled-up mess. So I created a dedicated folder on the one flash drive I had at least some space on, and ordered from ebay a new one to make it a dedicated flash drive for my immediate project. Thanks. Jim

You might want to look at the amount your paying for your new flash drive in relation to the drive size, and compare that to getting a portable hard drive.
I recently got a 4 Tb portable drive for $150 Cdn.
RusselB

Next

Return to General Discussion