Staroffice for Mac Classic (MacOS 7-8-9 for PowerPC)

Talk about anything at all....

Staroffice for Mac Classic (MacOS 7-8-9 for PowerPC)

Postby Maccampus » Sun May 10, 2020 10:17 am

Hi,

I am intrested in any version of StarOffice for MacOS (68k-PPC MacOS 7-8-9).

I am only aware of 2 versions, StarOffice 3.1 & 4.0 Beta.
Have there been more versions available for the Old MacOS (1990-2000 Era)? Has there ever been a non beta version of 4.0 ?
Which language's has this been released in ? Only German, English, other like Dutch or French ?

Would it be legal/appropriate to consider StarOffice abandonware & ask for download options ?
If so i would be interested in, if existing, Dutch or English versions of the last version available for MacOS & if this is a Beta also the last none beta version.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon May 11, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: Staroffice for MacOS
MacOS 10.15, MacOS 9 - LibreOffice 6.4, OpenOfice 4.1.7
Maccampus

Re: Staroffice for MacOS

Postby Zizi64 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:33 am

I am intresten in any version of StarOffice for MacOS (68k-PPC MacOS 7-8-9).

StarOffice????

Do you mean OpenOffice.org, Oracle OpenOffice, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice or the newest Collabora Office?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Maccampus » Sun May 10, 2020 10:35 am

I'm not sure if i wish to answer this.

Have you at least tried Wikipedia & really read my post ?
Maccampus

Postby RoryOF » Sun May 10, 2020 11:51 am

Why should you require any of us to do research, even reading Wikipedia?

Zizi64, from his experience on the Forum with many misunderstandings in the postings of new members, merely asks for confirmation of the detail of your request.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 am

Have you at least tried Wikipedia & really read my post ?

Yes, I did it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice

The StarOffice 6.0 was the first version that supported the XML based ODF file formats. If you want to open the older binary file formats, then you can do it with the LibreOffice. Do not use the older file formats.

And the Staroffice 5.2 was the first free, open source version (i used it too)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#History

The StarOffice is a discontinued project. You can (or maybe can not) download the old version of the
- OpenOffice from: https://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html
- LibreOffice from: https://downloadarchive.documentfoundat ... ffice/old/
- some NeoOffice versions from: https://neooffice.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions

The StarOffice was a commercial product (except the 5.2 version). There are not (I can not find) legal places to free download any versions.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Maccampus » Sun May 10, 2020 12:23 pm

None of the sugested will run on MacOS 7-8-9.

The first OpenOffice based product to run on macos was neooffice somewhere around 2003. At the same time it became possible to run OpenOffice as a none macos variant in x11 on macOS. A year or so later OpenOffice released a real macOS client.

This all was for modern macOS which used to be known as macOS X, Mac OS 10, the still current macos.

Before macOS 10 came earlier classic versions. These are not compatible. There was in early macOS 10 ways to run applications for the classic macOS (classic emulation) and developers could extend their code to run on both (carbon).

However new applications build for modern macOS are not compatible with classic macOS.

So for classic macOS as stated above versions 7, 8 or 9 which ran on PPC or earlier 68k platforms can only run Staroffice.
As also stated above I know Staroffice was a non free product although there has been free versions. I wonder if we can consider it abandonware and it would be appropriate to ask for a download of it.

As Wikipedia is not complete in its information about the staroffice versions I am not aware of all versions compatible with classic macOS. However the none free version 3 is and there wasatleast a beta for version 4, it is not clear if version 5 was released for Mac, so if it was then there might be the free version 5.2.

That is al I know, I like to know more and I would like to have the last version in English or dutch. Atm I have the possibility to get 4.1 in German which is not partically useful for me, still I am intrested to know whether it would be allowed to get it.
Maccampus

Postby keme » Sun May 10, 2020 1:47 pm

AFAIK, the Stardivision product was only available for MS Windows.

OpenOffice.org did have a ppc version available, but I don't believe it was ever for the MacOS "Classic" platform. At the outset it required the X-11 addon (found in OS-X developer tools), but I believe the last versions were OS-X "native mode". I don't recall ever enabling MacOS "classic mode" for OpenOffice/StarOffice.

The "beta generation" is perhaps your best bet, if you can find a dmg download of OpenOffice.org 0.95 for Mac/ppc it just might work on os9.

I did once run StarOffice 6.0 in Windows 98 through the Bochs emulator, just to prove a point. If you can find Bochs for MacOS 9, Win9x media and StarOffice 5/6, you may try. Setup of Bochs is not for the faint of heart, and the virtual environment does not integrate smoothly with the host environment. Good luck!
keme
Volunteer

Postby Maccampus » Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 pm

As i pointed out myself i may not have all the facts. However i am 100% certain that There was StaOffice versions for Mac OS 7-8-9 (Classic Mac OS) PPC or 68k/PPC.

There was & is in my possession atm at least version 3.1 in german
There was a 4.0 Beta version - i think this was at the time freely distributed as it was beta.

This has ben confirmed even on the old Stardevision website which is archived on the Webarchive.

None of the OpenOffice Era profits was ever available for MacOS Classic, as i stated above.
Maccampus

Postby keme » Sun May 10, 2020 7:09 pm

New knowledge. Thanks!

I couldn't, and still can't, locate the archive I used previously for downloading v.5.2 for Windows, so I trusted my memory. I should have known better. I should also have read your request better. I apologize!

According to this page (linked) the v4 beta seems to have been the last (and the only freely available) version for the "Classic" MacOS. I am still not able to locate any download sources for that.

I will probably never make use of this knowledge, but it is still good to know one's history, so thanks again, and sorry that I was unable to contribute to your request. As Stardivision made the superseding version free, and was later acquired by Sun which in turn was acquired by Oracle, I'd say that there is no entity which will currently enforce license rights to copies of the software. If I had a copy, I would gladly consider it abandonware and offer you a download.
keme
Volunteer

Return to General Discussion