[Solved]Outlook refuses to respect attached file association

Talk about anything at all....

[Solved]Outlook refuses to respect attached file association

Postby dennisqdw » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:47 pm

So for some reason, even though the ods file is associated with Openoffice, and will open by clicking directly on the file in file browser, in outlook it always insists on trying to open with microsoft excel. Any ideas on how to fix this.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick; Moved topic from Calc forum to General Discussion
OpenOffice 4.0.1, Windows XP Pro SP2
dennisqdw

Re: Outlook refuses to respect attached file association

Postby John_Ha » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Google for how to change the file association in Outlook from its default .xls or .xlsx to .ods.

In W10 also check Settings > Apps and Features ..., and see what Outlook is doing.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby dennisqdw » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 pm

Thank-you for the quick response, but I don't see how either of your suggestions are relevant. A search based on your first suggestions turns up this: "That is not something controlled by Outlook but by Windows." Which of course I already know, and as mentioned it is already correct within Windows, which also seems to be what your second point refers to. I know that this isn't an Outlook forum, but frankly I'm hoping that the people here are smarter than what I've been able to turn up via Outlook searches. This is clearly something that is not functioning properly. Can anyone confirm that they can properly open up an ods file attachment from within Outlook? At least then I'll know whether or not it's something at my end or a more widespread problem. BTW I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows 10 and the current version of the Office suite.
thanx
dennisqdw

Postby dennisqdw » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:56 pm

I found the solution at least for me. You have to go to Apps and Features, select Office, then Modify and then repair. Now the ods file opens in the appropriate place.
dennisqdw

Return to General Discussion