OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Talk about anything at all....

OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Postby AltonCruz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

I have a new iPad mini4 that I hope to use as a substitute computer while traveling. Most of the documents on my PC are in Open Office Writer or Calc. I want to be able to open and edit them on the iPad, but there don't seem to be many apps that will let me do this. I hunted all over the App Store and all I could find was a reader app.

I found a version of Open Office that supposedly works within the browser, but when I tried it, it just led me around in an endless loop, never letting me create or open anything. And when I attempted to download the iOS version of Open Office from their site, it gave me a message that "your device doesn't allow downloads" or something like that. The link to a " mirror" wouldn't work, either.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista mcdvoice
AltonCruz

Re: Open Office (or equivalent) for iPad

Postby robleyd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 pm

There is no version of OpenOffice for iOS. See OpenOffice for tablets for information on what is currently available.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Re: OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Postby sveld » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 am

I believe the best alternative today is leveraging "Collabora Office" which is in the IOS Appstore, and free of course. This is just a branded version of LibreOffice and allows you to view and edit any document format.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/collabora ... 1440482071
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win10, LibreOffice 6.4.2 on Win10/Linux, Collabora Office (LibreOffice) on IOS and Android
sveld

Return to General Discussion