Unrecoverable crash

Talk about anything at all....

Unrecoverable crash

Postby qwertyasdf » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Just spent a couple of hours working on my book. Lots of work, and if you ever tried writing a book, you know that inspiration is essential. Without it, there is no book.
This morning, I was particularly inspired and went over some parts and added some more stuff. Important, inspired stuff.
Saved about an hour ago last time, because once you are inspired, you don't THINK, you CREATE.
and then...

BOOOOOM.

OO disappeared from my computer's screen. It is a dual XEON, 64GB ECC RAM workstation with zero problems.

Oo offers to "recover" my file and I accept it hoping to see that not too much was lost.
Once the file was recovered, I opened it and found out it lost ALL THE WORK SINCE THE LAST SAVE - an hour or two of typing.

Is this a normal way OO works, because if it is, it is unacceptable. It seems I will have to install MS word. Better to work with the devil if its reliable, then an unreliable wannabe. I cannot even begin to describe how i feel about OO right now.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7.0 Ultimate 64bit
qwertyasdf

Re: Unrecoverable crash

Postby John_Ha » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 pm

qwertyasdf wrote: it lost ALL THE WORK SINCE THE LAST SAVE - an hour or two of typing.

Is this a normal way OO works, because if it is, it is unacceptable.

Do not blame AOO for your misfortune because it is your way of using it which caused your data loss. All word-processors, including MS Word, would have done exactly the same thing because, when you type, your text is stored in the PC memory and is not written to disk. A program or PC crash means that text etc is permanently lost.

AOO provides an option AutoSave which saves the entire document to disk every few minutes but you presumably were not using it. Tools > Options > Load Save ...

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a recurring problem if you use AutoSave and you have many images; and why you may now be better with LibreOffice.

And you should be backing up your file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for a link to the Time Stamp Backup extension.

See See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RusselB » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:02 pm

What do you have in the Save box under Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> General
I all but "Edit property documents before saving" checked, with Save Auto-recovery information set at 1 minute.
What are your settings under that same area?
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:20 pm

Nearly, but not quite, Off Topic. When working on any file of importance in any application, instinctive Saving should be applied. Whenever one pauses, one should press Crtl S, to Save the file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby steamingbiscuit » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Not certain why John Ha feels the need to speak down to you, but I have 'Always create backup copy' and 'Save autorecovery information' set up as instructed, and AOO consistently refuses to save either. Is there anyone else out there who may help us address this issue without being condescending?

Many thanks
OpenOffice 1.2 on Debian 10
steamingbiscuit

Postby RusselB » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:35 am

Please note that "Always create back-up copy" makes the back-up when a saved file is opened.
I have both of these active and they, to my knowledge, work correctly.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Return to General Discussion