[Solved] Grouping in Report does not work for one data set

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

[Solved] Grouping in Report does not work for one data set

Postby dargosch » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi,

I came across a strange thing when making a number of Reports with grouping. In every case except one, the grouping works and I am happy. Howerver, for this computed data set, I cannot get it to work. The report is just not generated, and all I get is the standard, to be subsituted, filler text instead of the items from the database. Ok, here is a snip of the data set:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Month     Day   Given_name Surname    Age
January   14    Fredrik    Karlsson   33
February  18    Adam       Xman       12

Ok, so this is birthday data. So, I make a report of this data, using Month as the grouping variable, and what I get is what you see here: http://www.ling.umu.se/~fredrik/calender_output.pdf . Nothing but the place-holders and fieldnames?

What could be wrong? I would appreciate any suggestion you might have.

/Fredrik
Last edited by dargosch on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it."
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
dargosch

Re: Grouping in Report does not work for one data set...

Postby dargosch » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:25 am

? Nobody?

I can give you more information, If you want? Just tell me wat you need.

/Fredrik
--
"Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it."
dargosch

Postby r4zoli » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Can you upload the odb file? (if not confidential)
You use old type reports, try SRB.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Postby dargosch » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 pm

r4zoli wrote:Can you upload the odb file? (if not confidential)
You use old type reports, try SRB.

Hi. Sorry, but I have to use the old type of reports. The SRB seems to need OpenOffice or StarOffice, and I am using NeoOffice (OpenOffice really is not good on Mac).

Yes, the database is confidential, but I'll look into making a mock version of it and upload it.
--
dargosch

Postby r4zoli » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:17 pm

You can try OOo 3.0.0RC1 it has version for OSX, Aqua.
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Postby dargosch » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:09 am

r4zoli wrote:You can try OOo 3.0.0RC1 it has version for OSX, Aqua.

Thanks! Yes, that looks nice. I'll try that, but I cannot force the people that are about to use my database file into having to use an RC (and installing a separate module), so if it is possible, I would rather just find the problem.

Here (www.ling.umu.se/~fredrik/mock.odb) a slimmed down, anonymous, version of the database file. BTW, I discovered that OpenOffice 3.0RC1 had the same problem with my dataset.. so there must be something wrong with it? What I am trying to do is just to have the results grouped by month ("Månad"). Simple. I have done more complex ones than that, and they all work.

Thankful for any kind of feedback!

/Fredrik
--
dargosch

Postby r4zoli » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm

I can not help in your report, I tried my knowledge not enogh to solve your problem, but I found a bug in 3.0 RC1, with your file, 93710.
When I created new report in 3.0.0RC1 in design view no issue found, only in report with with wizard.
Report based on your query created in desing view shows all data.
OOo 3.0.0 will not contain old type report, but will open it. As I know SRB will be integrated into OOo.
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Postby dargosch » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am

Hi,

Found the solution, or at least a solution, to this problem. It's silly, but it works. Posting it for future reference.

The problem is that I wanted the data set sorted by month, and then day. Ok, sorting the month name does not work, since they are rarelly alphabetical, so I had another column with month ordinal number, which I used for sorting. This seemed to be the problem, since when i removed the ordinal number sorting from the Query, the report worked. Also, if I made a report including the ordinal number of the month, I could group by that ok, but that was not, of course what I wanted. (Having the label say January is much nicer than having it say Month 1.

So, here is how I solved it. I modified the query so that it sorted the data by month name and day. Now, I could make a report the way I wanted it, grouped by month, and with te grouping lable saying "January" and so on. Of course, April would come before January, so..
Now, I saved this report, and modified the underlying query to include the sorting by month ordinal number. Now, everything works, and I am not touching a thing :-)

Seems a bit silly this, but.. as long as it works :-)

/Fredrik
--
dargosch

Return to Reporting