Report won't group data

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

Report won't group data

Postby oopsyda1sy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 am

Hi all,

I'm really new to making databases, and I'm having a lot of trouble creating my report. I currently have a one-many relationship set up and all I want to display on the report is

Customer
Order 1
Order 2
Order 3

The report that ultimately comes out is very jumbled up, some customers have multiple orders, some don't and appear independently (not consolidated like I want). I'm not sure where I went wrong, my query looks good to me and on the form it displays it exactly the way I want.

Also, I'm having a second problem where the "Order Date" is not displayed and only a jumble of 5 random numbers come out.

I wasn't able to upload my database because the file size is just a little too big.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 8
oopsyda1sy

Re: Report won't group data

Postby longi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi!
Firstly I have to say that I have no idea about programming. Sorry!
I guess you are using the old fashioned Legacy Report Builder, which is used by me.
It seems that queries are not properly used by the Report Builder, so you have to open the query as SQL, copy all and then paste it where I'll explain you:
1-Open the report to desing it
2-Go to the form browser
3- You can see a Form called 'ReportSource'
4-Go to the hidden control 'CommandType', click with the right button, and open the properties
5-Change the value in the second line for a '2' (the source change to a SQL sentence)
6-Open properties of the hidden control 'Command'
7-In the second line ('Value') paste the SQL you copy before.

It is not bad to have the same order in the SQL that you want to have in the report. This also is good for grouping your records.

If I am not clear, I hope other beter English speakers could help you. But I can try more explanations.

Good luck!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 7
LibreOffice 6.0.1 on Windows10
longi

Postby Nocton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Without seeing your data, it is difficult to comment. But if you are not using the Oracle Report builder than I suggest you add this extension for a better reporting experience. You must also make sure that the query behind the report is giving you the correct results - the report is only a means of displaying data.

Regards,

Nocton
OpenOffice 4.2.0 on Windows 10
Nocton
Volunteer

Postby nathan3553 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 pm

can you create a sample database that has a similar structure?

A guess at the reason your date values are not displaying as a date is because your formatting on the report is a number and not a date format. Select the field and change the format to date, if not already.

Are you using Oracle Report Builder? If not, download it! Then if you use Sorting and Grouping you should be able to group by a particular field. In Sorting and Grouping options, notice the additional options like "Group Header" Present or Not, "Group Footer" Present or Not, etc.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7/OpenOffice 4 on MacOSX
nathan3553

Return to Reporting