Grouping all fields into 1 page.

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

Grouping all fields into 1 page.

Postby tick373 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Sorry if this is obnoxiously new of me, but I have only very recently gotten into creating databases and reports.

I'm using OpenOffice 4.0.1 with Oracle Report Builder extension.

My goal is to have every page of the reports to display one customer's information. As it stands when I execute the report it fits as much as it can onto 1 page of information, which means it starts listing a new customer's information on the same page as the previous customer. Basically it's not separating each customer's info to separate pages. :crazy:

For example it will get down to the last entry of my customer's information and immediately start listing my next customer's information under it so everything is bleeding into the same pages.

I've been looking through the editing and formatting options for the past 5 hours and I cannot figure out how to make it separate my customers into single pages when it executes the report.

Regards,
A newbie
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
tick373

Re: Grouping all fields into 1 page.

Postby Sliderule » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 pm

tick373:

Welcome to the forum. You said / asked:

tick373 wrote:My goal is to have every page of the reports to display one customer's information.

With the Oracle Report Writer, to force a new page for each GROUP ( Customer Information ) :

1. Define your group . . . based on whatever makes a Customer UNIQUE, such as, CUSTOMER-ID, or, CUSTOMER-NAME
  2. Open the Report Navigator ( F5 key, OR, Navigator Icon on the Toolbar )
  3. Expand the Groups section ( + sign next to Groups )
  4. Click on Group Header
  5. Under General, in the Force New Page drop down, choose Before Section ( you can test each of the options in the drop down if you like :) )
  6. Test the report to see if it generates the pages as you wish ( Ctrl+E, OR, Execute Report Icon on Toolbar )
  7. Be sure to SAVE BOTH, the report, and, your OpenOffice / LibreOffice Base file ( *.odb )
  8. Smile, and say: "Gee Sliderule, thanks, that was easy. Now all I have to do is follow the instructions at the bottom of Sliderule's post.
I have included a LINK below . . . so you can download a SAMPLE file ( demo ) name of HSQL-WorldArea3.odb . . . with sample reports showing NEW PAGES . . . in a report . . . a new page for each continent :)

https://www.mediafire.com/?p4p1vt44dljjd3d

Look at Reports:
  1. WorldAreaReport - By Continent - Area
  2. WorldAreaReport - By Continent - CountryName
I hope this helps, please be sure to let me/ us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit buton top right) if this isue has ben resolved.
Sliderule
Volunteer

Postby charlie.it » Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello Sliderule, I looked at your attached database. What are all those Queries? The reports work the same even without those, or am I wrong? Are still interesting, even if mysterious.
Attachments
Schermata 05-2456787 alle 19.24.03.png
charlie
macOS 10.12 Sierra: Open Office 4.1.7 - LibreOffice 6.2.8

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
charlie.it
Volunteer

Postby Sliderule » Fri May 09, 2014 8:11 pm

charlie.it:

Those Queries . . . I included in the database, just because I use that database as a demo for users, not only for the report . . . but . . . just to demonstrate the versatility of the database.

To explain quickly, the database back-end, in this case, is HSQL Version 1.8.0.10 - the Embedded database. And, the database is comprised of VIEWS, that can be queried to demonstrate the definition(s) of the contents of the database, for example, the tables, views, columns, etc.

It uses the schema of INFORMATION_SCHEMA . . . rather than the default schema of . . . PUBLIC for the tables you have defined. And, I hope, the name of each Query is clear to show what they do ( that is, what the output will display ) . . . just as a demonstration . :super:

Of course, you can look at each Query, by right clicking it, and choose: Edit in SQL View... .

Sliderule
Sliderule
Volunteer

Postby charlie.it » Sun May 11, 2014 8:48 am

Very interesting, thanks.
charlie
macOS 10.12 Sierra: Open Office 4.1.7 - LibreOffice 6.2.8

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
charlie.it
Volunteer

Return to Reporting