REPORT with big text an some gap fields

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

REPORT with big text an some gap fields

Postby julian » Wed May 07, 2008 1:40 pm

I wanna create a report, this is a letter. That means a big quantity of text that remains constant all over the records, and there are some gaps inside the text that must be filled
These gaps come from the columns of any row from the query the report is based (the data)

Like that:

Asdfasdfasddfasdfasf sdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfas fasfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdffffffiufffff fffffffffffffffasdfioaeruaweuqwerqwerrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrqwerqwerqwerqwerqwerq werqwerqweqwer GAP1 rrqwerqwerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrqw erqwerqwerqw erqwerqwer qwer qwerqwer qwerqwerq werrqwerqwerq werqqwerqwerqw erqwerqw GAP2 erqwer qw erqwerqw erqwerqwerqwer e qweiopurvgnquweriqn pwioaeruaiovgnqi opaweun q w er iopqweurnio purn iopqwurnaweunpeunpioq GAP3 wearuioppoiq wueriopuqwpio erupoqwe uriopqwr upeopqwureopuo pqwueriopupqoweuropquweropqioweruiopq woper.

The best option would be paste the constant test as a background and above past the fields on required places. I don’t know how to do that using sun report builder. Is possible put the test as a background anyway. On the other hand if I use wizard to create report…I can paste the test but I can’t arrange the fields in the positions inside the test where they must be.

At the moment I’m using Sun Report Builder like that:

Label1
Label2 Field1 label3
Label4 Field2 label5
Label6 Field3 label7
Label8

a lot of labels… and too much work

Any suggestions?
julian

Re: REPORT with big text an some gap fields

Postby kabing » Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 am

You might be better off using the mail merge feature in Writer; you can access the fields from a table or a Query of any registered database.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
kabing
Volunteer

Re: REPORT with big text an some gap fields

Postby wurzel » Sat May 31, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi,

Kabing's suggestion is the best one that I know of. Create a standard document template containing what you call your background text. You can then insert the field names of the corresponding database you need by dragging and dropping the field or column headers from the query or table view that you get when presssing F4 from within your text document.

Save the document as a template and then launch the mailmerge wizard. From there you can select both the template you want to use and the query which will serve as a datasource. The content of the fields that you have inserted into your template will automatically be inserted into your document template at the correct place. The advantage of the mailmerge function is that you can review your document before sending it for printing or e-mail.

Alex
wurzel
Volunteer

Return to Reporting