Reports from Queries in 2.4

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

Reports from Queries in 2.4

Postby robhatch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm

I have just upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4. I have a Base file in which the report based on the Query that includes all records in the file's Table, but reordered in usable order rather than by ID, still works. However, the two that are based on filtered Queries do not (the Queries themselves still do). When I try to open either of the two reports, I get the following error message (line breaks indicated by "/"):

OpenOffice.org 2.4/The query with the statement/"/could not be run./Check your data source.

I know how I would reconnect to the Query if I were still using Access 2000, but cannot find any comparable (or other way) to do so in Base. (I can create a new report based on a filtered Query by using the Report Wizard, but the formatting was a mess on the first try. However, I may try that again in a week or two if there is no other way.) Does anyone have any suggestions? Or have I hit a bug introduced by 2.4 (since the reports all ran without a hitch in several earlier versions of OpenOffice) so that I need to try to revert to 2.3?
robhatch

Re: Reports from Queries in 2.4

Postby scarter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:47 am

I am having the same problem, and there are a number of reports on the "other Base forum indicating that it's worse than you thought - you can start over and redo each report, but then the results are static. Change the query or data and you still get the same results. Unless there's a workaround (and nobody's found it yet) this is a good reason not to upgrade to 2.4.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu Linux, Windows Vista
scarter

Postby robhatch » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 pm

I am profoundly grateful to scarter for his/her reply and the posts to which he/she linked, which I just reached after returning from a transcontinental trip to help clean up the apartment of my recently deceased mother with full resolve to overcome my packrat DNA and clean out debris such as the obsolete downloads on my computer. However, thank God that I had not reached Oo2.3.1 yet. After reading the reply and the posts to which it linked, I backed up all my data and (by drag and drop) the Oo2.3.1 download to a flash drive, used Control Panel to remove 2.4, reinstalled 2.3.1 from the original download, and the reports work again! I will hold on to 2.3.1 until after trying the next upgrade that comes along, just in case that continues to have problems. Unfortunately, I cannot resist throwing in a personal note, that I am a 74-year old nontechnical person who is taken back to the days before AOL when this sort of help was available from WordPerfect's equivalent of a forum over the telephone by 128/256-baud modem. I have not sought help from a forum in the interim, particularly not since I went over from a 98 system to XP and decided to try Oo early in 2005 rather than throw more good money after bad in the direction of Microsoft, but I am so impressed by comparison with a small number of very frustrating exchanges with what passes for tech support nowadays that I will overcome my revulsion at the names EBay and PayPal and chance making a contribution as in the old days of share ware. If this exchange might be of interest to anyone else and scarter or anyone knows how to move it over to the forum (clearly of more general interest or easier to find) to which scarter furnished the link, please feel free to move it.
robhatch

Postby scarter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:37 am

Thank you for your kind words. I'm a *few* years younger than you, but not much. Open Office is a wonderful application, but it seems as if each release fixes some problems and creates others. Unlike the Micro$oft products, however, there are active forums that allow you to discuss them and come up with workarounds. So far, nothing on this vexing problem, but I am sure that someone, somewhere, is working on it. If I knew how to use the OO bug reporting system, I'd do it, but I trust that someone else has done so, and 2.4.1 will be out shortly.

Steve
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu Linux, Windows Vista
scarter

Postby Hacker John » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info on this thread and the one I started Scarter. I've re-installed 2.3 and will stick with it until the problem is fixed.
Hacker John

Postby Johndmc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:47 pm

From my initial experiments with OOo 3.0, it appears that this problem HAS NOT been fixed. Does anyone have any further information?
John D Mc
Windows XP, OOo 2.4.0
Johndmc

Postby robhatch » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:24 pm

The problem has long seemed to me to be solved by 2.4.1, and I was going to unsubscribe until I saw the last post. I am a few days away from installing whatever is current in version 3, but will try to remember to check in again when I do. Thanks for the warning.
robhatch

Postby Johndmc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 am

More info -

After more experimenting I think I have resolved my particular problem.

1. I was using reports generated in version 2.3.1. Apparently they are 'hard-coded' as static reports and when run under OOo 3.0 they are still static reports. I cannot find a way to change this - edit of the reports brings up Writer.

2. When I rebuilt a report using the wizard, which used the Sun Report Builder extension, it still came out as a static report even when I specified it as dynamic report. I then edited the report and examined the report properties and it showed the Data Content type as an SQL command. Changing this to Query and selecting the appropriate query as the content then made this report dynamic.

So - I guess in my case, it just means rebuilding reports, which is a pain but I guess that is the price to pay.

Hope this info may shed a little light on the "problem" for others - and I hope my newbie status has not confused the issue.
If anyone has a method to edit the static/dynamic status of previously built reports, I would appreciate knowing it.

Thanks,
John D Mc
Windows XP, OOo 2.4.0
Johndmc

Return to Reporting