Dynamic sizing of report detail?

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

Dynamic sizing of report detail?

Postby qirien » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:35 am

I've got a database of names, addresses, phone numbers, and kids' names and birthdays that I'm creating a report for. I used Design View to create the report, with a separate field for each field in the database I want to print. The only problem is, people don't all have the same number of kids, so if people have no kids, there's a lot of empty space at the bottom of this entry.

Example:

Lastname Address Zip Phone
Name1 Birthday1
Name2 Birthday2
Name3 Birthday3
Name4 Birthday4
Name5 Birthday5

Is there a way to have the report not leave space for these empty fields?

I'm running 2.3.0 on Debian Linux. Thanks for reading!
qirien

Re: Dynamic sizing of report detail?

Postby kabing » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:23 am

Well, one way to do it would involve reworking your table structure. I presume you currently have only one table.

The parents' names, address, etc. would be in one table. This table would include a primary key field, I would suggest a interger field called something like ParentsID.

A second table would have one record per kid, and would include a ParentsID field.

You would group by ParentsID and/or Last name in the report.

I'm not sure if there is a simpler way or not. If you do want to restructure your tables, think it out carefully and ask more questions if need be. Someone else might suggest a better structure.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
kabing
Volunteer

Re: Dynamic sizing of report detail?

Postby jlentzram » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 pm

If you generate the report off a Query that concatenates all the children's names together, with commas between them, and you use the Report Wizard to create your Report, the field where the kids' names are listed will automatically grow or shrink as the kids names field grows or shrinks. The Sun Report Builder doesn't support dynamically changing table rows, that I can tell, which is the reason it doesn't work for a lot of applications.
Jeff Lentz
Senior Design Engineer
Ramcon-Fiberlok, Inc.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
jlentzram

Return to Reporting