[Solved] Reporting enhancement

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

[Solved] Reporting enhancement

Postby k0dpw » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 pm

I looked for a forum to suggest new features, but could't seem to find an appropriate one, so am posting this topic in the forum for REPORTING in BASE.

I am a new user to OOo.org BASE, perhaps what I want to do is supported, but my experiences are that it is not, point me in the right direction if this can already be done.

In the Reporting module to generate reports from BASE data bases, it seems ALL the report formatting is designed around columns and rows.

I would liketo have the feature in Reports to:

1) Load a background graphic image of my own design on a report page of my own size specification. and print this report page (if it is smaller than standard size paper) like labels, ie, one up, two up, three up, etc. on an actual sheet of paper.

2) Free float the data fields from the data base onto the report page (single background image), similar to the way data base fields can be free floated around in the FORMS definition component of BASE for designing data entry or viewing forms for data base BASE files.

Since this free float ability aready exists in the FORMS design comonent of BASE, why can it not be ported into the REPORT component of BASE ?

That allows me to generate a report with the data base fields free floated on the report page anywhere I like, instead of basic columns and rows.
Last edited by k0dpw on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See profile bio for additonal user info
OOo 4.1.1 on MS Windows XP SP3
k0dpw

Re: Reporting enhancement

Postby r4zoli » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:19 am

This the forum where users help users, no developers here.
Check your suggested feature not on list of SUN Report Builder/Planned Features.
If not submit issues for suggesting enhanchements, read [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Reporting enhancement

Postby k0dpw » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks r4zoli for the info.

It appears the Sun Report Builder extension to OOo will probably do what I want, and since it is supported extension as a separate module, the developers would probably not add such functionalability to the report module of BASE itself.

I am going to leave these posts on for anyone who may be seeking similar information, as help for the user communtiy on this subject.

Documentaion for the Sun Report Builder extension can be found at this link:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Report_Builder/Documentation

I downloaded and installed the Sun Report Builder extension, went smooth and flawless; now when in BASE, and I click on the report module, the new Sun Report Builder comes up - FANTASTIC !!!

It appears that the Sun Report Builder extension for OOo 3+ will do what I want in terms of "Free Float" data base fields around on a report page; however, only the option of specifying a background color is available, not setting a background image. So I will suggest such enhancement per your directions, r4zoli.

Also, I don't see the ability to print "label printing style", like one-up, two-up, three-up, etc. for report pages that are smaler than a printer page (8.5"x11", for example), so for every hard copy printer page, there would be multiple individual report pages.
See profile bio for additonal user info
OOo 4.1.1 on MS Windows XP SP3
k0dpw

Return to Reporting