[Solved] Templates for continuous stationary

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base

[Solved] Templates for continuous stationary

Postby frankrussell » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Hopefully by question is about creating a report. For example I wich to create a template which allows me to print off cheques which are produced as continues stationary. so all I need to do from my database is create three fields 1) for the Payees name 2) for the written amount 3) the figures in numbers. I then need to be able to place these fields at specific locations so that they print at the correct position on the cheques.

How to?

Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.4.X on openSuse 11
frankrussell

Re: templates for continuous stationary

Postby JohnV » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:43 pm

You might try this. You might want a date field also and possibly a comment one.

Tear off a single check and measure it. The height measurement will be critical for continuous printing. Scan the check.

Open a Writer document format the page size to your measurements, set all margins to zero and ignore OOo's complaint. Go to the Background tab in, select Graphic, bullet Area and browse to to your scan. This should have your scan completely cover the page.

Press F4, open your database, open the Tables item and click your table. You can now drag and drop your field names into the document. The tricky part is getting your fields close to the lines on the check. Fool with the paragraph spacing using Fixed spacing or possibly Spacing / Above paragraph. Once all fields are in, remove the background image (select Color with No Fill).

To print, click the Print icon and answer 'yes' to the 'form letter' query. In the next dialog you can print all records or just the ones you select with the gray boxes to their left.
Last edited by JohnV on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: Templates for continuous stationary

Postby frankrussell » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks this looks very helpful and will give it a go. will I be able to save the Write document as a template and therefore be able to use adfinitum?

Thanks for help
OOo 2.4.X on openSuse 11
frankrussell

Postby JohnV » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:23 pm

will I be able to save the Write document as a template and therefore be able to use adfinitum?
Yes.
JohnV
Volunteer

Postby frankrussell » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Did exactly as you suggested and this has worked brilliantly. In many respects it works like Lotus Approach did, except there you created the view (template) by creating actual text boxes which were linked to the database. I can now do some revenue earning work instead of domestic IT stuff. Thanks a lot
:D :D :D
OOo 2.4.X on openSuse 11
frankrussell

Re: [Solved] Templates for continuous stationary

Postby MikeytheMagnificent » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:35 pm

By continuous stationery I suppose you refer to the tractor fed stuff from the dot matrix and line printer days, which afaik will always repeat at a pitch of 1/2inch exactly so stationery is perforated to 12" ensuring page registration is maintained automatically, so even if your cheques are 2 1/2" you still work to a pitch of 3" and the cropping much used in DTP will scrap your 1/2" leftovers or if your cheques are 3" or 4" exactly then there is no waste unless you intend to send thousands when you could have huge fanfolds custom perforated at n * 1/2" to say 4 1/2". So it's the repeat thats critical rather than the cheque height and you will set your report fields out in the builder to suit

Mike
Many opportunities to add short Tutorials or faq's are missed

1. Must have obvious title to be found easily
2. Keep to objectives
3. Use very clear language
4. Difficult to get right
5. Rewards are few
MikeytheMagnificent

Return to Reporting