Can't write MySQL databse

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER

Can't write MySQL databse

Postby Boblebad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi

It works fine connecting to the MySQL database, but Base saves the database in a file on my laptop, and then the editing only is done to this database, and i can't update/write the MySQL database, is there something i'm missing here ??

And is it not possible to save the connection details, so i just have to click open _name_ MySQL database, instead of going through tapping all the connection details every time ?
Best regards
Carsten, Denmark

LibreOffice 3.3.2 - Linux Mint 11 katya
Boblebad

Re: Can't write MySQL databse

Postby r4zoli » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Please give more details about your connection and MySQL server.

You connected to localhost or over the local network, or over the internet.

What type of connection you used?

Connect MySQL and Base
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Boblebad wrote: but Base saves the database in a file on my laptop,

Wrong. What gets saved on your laptop is a configuation file. The so called "database document" does not contain any data. When you open that "document" you see the tables of your connected MySQL database according to the connection parameters you specified during the connection process.
Boblebad wrote:And is it not possible to save the connection details,

The following screenshot shows the status bar of a "database document" connected to a HSQLDB server on the local network:
You may find more details under menu:Edit>Database

Boblebad wrote:so i just have to click open _name_ MySQL database, instead of going through tapping all the connection details every time ?

You can not open a database. Simply open the "database document" (configuration file) you created in order to get access to your MySQL database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Boblebad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:08 pm

r4zoli wrote:Please give more details about your connection and MySQL server.

You connected to localhost or over the local network, or over the internet.

What type of connection you used?

Connect MySQL and Base

I set up the connection via this link:

http://maxolasersquad.blogspot.com/2011/03/connect-to-mysql-database-from.html

And yes, at the moment only localhost ..
Best regards
Carsten, Denmark

Boblebad

Postby Boblebad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Villeroy wrote:Wrong. What gets saved on your laptop is a configuation file. The so called "database document" does not contain any data. When you open that "document" you see the tables of your connected MySQL database according to the connection parameters you specified during the connection process.

You're absolutely right, when clicking on the file, it opened Base and asked for the login - strange thogh, cause when opening from within Base i didn't ask me for login ..

Villeroy wrote:The following screenshot shows the status bar of a "database document" connected to a HSQLDB server on the local network:
You may find more details under menu:Edit>Database

I'll have a look ..

[
Villeroy wrote:You can not open a database. Simply open the "database document" (configuration file) you created in order to get access to your MySQL database.

Yep, i got that now, but it was the weird not asking for login from within Base that lead me to think when it saved a "database" on connect, it was a copy of the actual database it saved, and i can see that the file is very small, 2.2kb ..
Best regards
Carsten, Denmark

Boblebad

Postby Villeroy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Under menu:Edit>Database>Properties you can specify a user name to be used for the MySQL log-in and a check box if Base should prompt for log-in or not.
There is also a button to test the connection with the given log-in name.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to External Data Sources