Updating a Base form

Creating and using forms

Updating a Base form

Postby MSatterwhite » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:50 am

I'm using Base as a front end for a MySQL database. I want to add a couple of fields to the form. The problem is that Base won't let me. First, the "Open in Design Mode" button appears to do nothing. I can, however right-click on the form name and select edit. That appears to get the form up in design mode.

If I click on the "Add Field" button, it pops up a window with the title "Add Field". The only problem, however, is that no fields are listed. I know there are three fields not on the form ... two of them are new, the last has always been in the database.

How can I get base to let me add fields to the form.
I'm running version 2.3.

Thanks for all help in advance
---Michael
MSatterwhite

Re: Updating a Base form

Postby r4zoli » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I'm using Base as a front end for a MySQL database. I want to add a couple of fields to the form. The problem is that Base won't let me. First, the "Open in Design Mode" button appears to do nothing. I can, however right-click on the form name and select edit. That appears to get the form up in design mode.

Your file possible locked, when OOo Base open a file create filname.lck file and it is open until the OOo not closed, including Quick starter. If open file after you not closed fully before some possibilities greyed out, same happens if you installed two version of OOo and try to open each after each.
f I click on the "Add Field" button, it pops up a window with the title "Add Field". The only problem, however, is that no fields are listed. I know there are three fields not on the form ... two of them are new, the last has always been in the database.

"Add field" in OOo writer add built in fields not database fileds.
You could create forms with activated View>Toolbars>Form desing and Form Control floating menus.
You must check that your Form connected to some table, click on Form Navigator on Form design toolbar select with right click on standard Form Properties, and check on Data tabs Content type Table and Content shows some table in your database.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Postby MSatterwhite » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Your file possible locked, when OOo Base open a file create filname.lck file and it is open until the OOo not closed, including Quick starter. If open file after you not closed fully before some possibilities greyed out, same happens if you installed two version of OOo and try to open each after each.

That was a good suggestion, but I don't have any .lck files. It certainly was worth checking, though.

"Add field" in OOo writer add built in fields not database fileds.

I didn't know that. I'm still learning Base, though ... thanks for the info.

You could create forms with activated View>Toolbars>Form desing and Form Control floating menus.
You must check that your Form connected to some table, click on Form Navigator on Form design toolbar select with right click on standard Form Properties, and check on Data tabs Content type Table and Content shows some table in your database.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're suggesting here. I need to add an existing database field to the form; I don't see how to do that.

Thanks for the help.
---Michael
MSatterwhite

Postby r4zoli » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:58 pm

May be my english not so good, this cause some misunderstanding.
I suggest to read this tutorials on Forms:
http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb1simpleform.htm
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/forms/index.html
Forms will be clearer.
Zoltan
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
r4zoli
Volunteer

Return to Forms