"Range" variables in footer - distinct odd/even page numbers

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

"Range" variables in footer - distinct odd/even page numbers

Postby bebs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58 am

Hello,

I'd like to have distinct odd and even page numbers, as my even page is always an "annex" to the odd page that precedes it. I want it numbered "annex to page X-1".. and thus the odd page number should progress only from 1 each 2 pages.

My idea was to include a simple range variable in the footer of the odd pages (only), but range variables in the footer don't get increased at each occurrence... they seem to be considered static within the footer.

Is there any other dynamic content that would do the trick in the footer (ie be updated on each page and not just computed once?).. or a way to get a range variable to behave accordingly?

The workaround I got so far is to add my page number in a frame positioned relatively to the page, align it manually to my footer text, and copy-paste the frame in each odd page. It works but is not as satisfactory and easy to update as having a clean footer... so any better idea would be welcome!

have a nice day,
Bebs.
OpenOffice on Ubuntu.
bebs

Re: "range" variables in footer - distinct odd/even page num

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 am

You could anchor your frame in the footer on an odd page, having selected to have different footers on even/odd pages. Your footer will now repeat from odd page to odd page automatically. Check that your variable updates in the repeated frames.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: "Range" variables in footer - distinct odd/even page num

Postby bebs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks RoryOF for the suggestion... I did try it, but as soon as I anchor the frame (or locate the variable) in the footer it stops updating from one occurrence to the next.

Looks to me like the content of the footer is computed once on its first use, and then never updated but for a few known counters (page & chapter number, a.o.).
OpenOffice on Ubuntu.
bebs

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:48 am

Not sure it is possible in fact.
You may need this kind of feature with the page number divided by 2 for the even pages (but the annex should not span to an odd page): Issue 91311 - Page Number accessible for use in formulae.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:06 pm

From memory (a previous query to do with columns on a page, I think) one cannot perform arithmetic operations on the page number variable. I think the answer was to use a user defined variable, but I'm really not sure - my memory of this is fuzzy).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby bebs » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:17 am

ok Hagar & Rory,
I looked yt your suggestions and could make nothing else work so far. will stick to my earliest workaround and trying it again in a few years ;)
thanks for the help!
OpenOffice on Ubuntu.
bebs

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:45 am

I think this section of the OO Writer Guide, Chapter 14 may help

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Defining_your_own_numbering_sequences

The answer is almost certainly within Chapter 14, but I haven't time to read it at present.
RoryOF

Postby keme » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Can you use chapter numbering? See attachment.
I set heading 2 to display exactly like heading 1, but without numbering, so you can have similar headings and if you insert a ToC it will look nice. Other than that, just used the "heading 1" style.
For better flexibility, you may create a special page style for first page of each chapter (allows multiple page "annex" using a different page style).
Attachments
chapternumbering.odt
(9.34 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Nice workaround! In this case, it is very convenient.
You can even make your heading style hidden so that the numbering does not clutter the main text.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Return to Advanced Uses