Header numeration

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Header numeration

Postby Grolribasi » Mon May 23, 2016 5:43 pm

I have a problem with automatic numeration of headers. I have two chapters in my document and I need them to be numerated, but the number should not be present. So basically, I have the situation on the third picture and it's great, except I need it to look like first picture, but when I delete the number I have the second picture. What do I need to do to have my document look like the picture 1?
Attachments
3.png
2.PNG
1.PNG
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Grolribasi

Re: Header numeration

Postby acknak » Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for, but as far as I understand, OO doesn't really support the idea of numbering that isn't displayed. I believe the best workaround for it is to configure a character style that specifies white for the numbering characters, making them invisible on the page.

I think, if you want specific suggestions, we'll need to have a sample document or some more explanation of what you're trying to do.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby RoryOF » Mon May 23, 2016 10:33 pm

As I understand this, he wants the top level counted into the numbering as 2 (or whatever) but not displayed. Might it be possible to define the top level numbering in white, and pad the top level style ar the other end of the line so that it centred properly? I don't do numbering other than Chapter numbering, so am outside my knowledge.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby floris v » Mon May 23, 2016 11:42 pm

If your have titles run like "Chapter 2 Automatic heading numbering", you can achieve it as follows: open Tools - Outline numbering, select the Level 1, configure the numbering, then note that there are two text fields with English names Before text and After text (from memory).
In the After text box you enter text to separate the number from the actual title, and the Before text box is usually left empty, but you can enter "Chapter " there and see if that helps.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby Grolribasi » Tue May 24, 2016 9:35 am

Yes, I want numbering to continue as 2, but not displayed. Thank you for suggested solutions, I will try them.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Grolribasi

Return to Advanced Uses