Transferring photos to text doc

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Transferring photos to text doc

Postby Angus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:32 am

I have in the past transferred photos, normally in Picaso form to my text doc.
Last time I had trouble I resolved it somehow but cannot remember how this time.
The photos transfer into the text doc on their side and "flicking vertical or horizontal" does not fix it.
There is a drop down property box that shows "rotate 90 degrees" which I cannot get access to to change it.
Can anyone help please.
Regards
Angus :roll:
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
Angus

Re: Transferring photos to text doc.

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 am

I don't use Picasa, so I don't know how it works. Did you rotate the images in Picasa? Does Picasa save the rotation in the image file? If the rotation isn't saved, then OpenOffice may be displaying the image in its original orientation and not the orientation shown in Picasa.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Transferring photos to text doc

Postby acknak » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:38 pm

My guess is that Picassa is using the orientation information stored inside the image data, which OO does not use. So if the camera sets the "picture is vertical/portrait" option, Picasa knows to display the picture in that orientation, where OO does not and you have to rotate it manually.

Unfortunately, OO Writer does not provide a way to rotate images. To work around this, you can first paste (or insert > Picture > From file) the image into OO Draw, rotate it (Format > Position & Size > Rotation ...), then copy/paste into Writer.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Angus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:40 am

Thanks..... again Acknac.
I will try what you have suggested. I think OO now has this inbuilt instruction to rotate all pictures.
Regards
Angus
Angus

Postby Angus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:06 am

I have tried to use OO draw and it was not conducive to the project as I have about 10 pages of text with 3 or 4 photos on each page.
I now think the problem has only arisen since I upgraded to Windows 10.
I tried to upload the text document onto Draw and then put the photos into that but it didn't like it.
I will think about it for a couple of days and search for access to the drop down properties box that allows alterations to be made.
Thanks again Angus :roll:
Angus

Return to Advanced Uses