Program freeze: non-responsive

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Program freeze: non-responsive

Postby gozarks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 pm

I am using OO Writer to format a 26 page tabloid newspaper layout... this is a 6-column layout (like classified ads) with both a Table of Contents and an Alphabetical Index. The file size is now 6624 KB. Everything was going along fine and then suddenly, for no apparent reason, the program froze... "non-responsive". And no matter what I have done (including deleting the 'user' file, resaving with a new file name, trying to open on different computer, etc.) as soon as the file loads to the screen the program freezes.

And just to be clear, I have done exactly this same formatting layout previously with no problem... but it was a year and a half ago. Here is a PDF of the document I created then... https://helpyourselfpublishing.files.wo ... 101314.pdf

I could not attach the file I am working with due to size restriction but will gladly email to anyone who may be able to help.... and I really need a solution... we are supposed to go to press with this next week... Thanks...!!! ~Christine
OpenOffice 4.1.2. on Windows 10
gozarks

Re: program freeze: non-responsive

Postby RoryOF » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Is your OpenOffice able to make and save a small test file? Had you just installed an illustration in your newsletter file?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby gozarks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Yes... I just now opened a blank document, typed text, and created a 3-entry Alphabetical Index... worked just fine. And no, I had not 'just' installed an illustration... however there are several images in the document, but they are placed in fixed locations, tied to the page (not the paragraph) and do not move around when text is edited.
gozarks

Postby gozarks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:21 pm

I would be happy to email the file to anyone who might be able to find a solution... <smile>
gozarks

Postby RoryOF » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:03 pm

This file was sent to me privately. It hung on my main Xubuntu computer (several times) which has been in use all day, but opened immediately without hanging on another Xubuntu computer. I Saved it from that computer and returned it to the OP.

Edit: I got the file to open on a third Xubuntu computer. All machines were 4GB; the major difference was that the machine on which it was unresponsive used nvidia video; the other two used AMD video. I'm not saying that is the problem, but I have once or twice seen files or extensions that would run on one but not the other. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Advanced Uses