Split screen editing, for braille editing

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Split screen editing, for braille editing

Postby clausisme » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 am

Is there any way to split the writer window in 2 and see the same text in two windows side by side but with difrent fonts, normal font(arial,etc) on one side and Braille font on the other.
I want to manipulate the text in nomal font to improve the Braille layout. Some letters like capital letters use two braille characters and you can see how it brakes the normal layout. Spliting long words at the end of the line is imposible without something like simultaneous viewing of the same text in both fonts. Spliting is also important as the braille embossing line is usually 34-42 characters long.
I've tryed the odt2braille plug-in the problem is it has a preview option only after finishing the text.
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 7
clausisme

Re: Split screen editing, for braille editing

Postby acknak » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Sorry, I can't think of any way to manage this with OO out of the box. It sounds like something that will require a custom application, or at least a plugin/extension, to show both views at the same time.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby keme » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:43 am

Haven't looked for that specific functionality, but you might find it in resources linked in the indexbraille site. Specifically, odt2Braille looks promising.

The most likely way to get what you want would be to use a different product. Brailleblaster looks like a good place to start.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby clausisme » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:08 am

The odt2Braille extension is at the same version is was in 2012 when I first looked at it. It does have a braille preview before printing but is really hard to use for more than a few pages. I guess it's the best option for OpenOffice at the moment.

Thanks for the input, didn't know about Brailleblaster.
Brailleblaster has that mirror text/braille windows I was asking for. Right now it has some major bugs but I see they are working on it.
clausisme

Postby RoryOF » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:58 am

This is similar to the translation/comparison of texts problem, for which users often seek "parallel columns". The normal solution ( a work around) is to use a table, in this case of two columns, with the verses, be they sentences, paragraphs or other manageable modules, in cells in one column and the matching translation in the adjoining cell in the next column. This needs a lot of manual steering, but it is the way to handle such matters currently in OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby clausisme » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks for the sugestion, translation was something I did look into while trying to solve this problem.
clausisme

Postby RoryOF » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 am

Another method is to use "linked frames" in OpenOffice. Put two frames on a page. then link these to the corresponding frames on the next page, and continue to link successive frames as your work progresses. Again, this needs some manual steering. You need to play with this in a small sample file (and probably repeated references to the Help file!).

I suspect the table method may be easier, but it depends on the length of the work and the preferences of the individual driving it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Advanced Uses