Topaz Signature pad

The Application Programming Interface and the OASIS Open Document Format

Topaz Signature pad

Postby leo1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:57 am

I have and use the topaz digital signature pad to sign MS word documents. Is there an API to be able to use with Writer?
leo1

Re: Topaz Signature pad

Postby sybille » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:05 am

You'd need to ask the people who make the topaz digital signature pad.

It looks like they don't support OOo at present:
http://www.topazsystems.com/Software/index.htm
If your problem has been solved, please edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line. Thanks!
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
Zotero, for research and bibliography management with OOo.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + None needed :)
sybille
Volunteer

Postby leo1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 am

I just sent them an e-mail and I will post the answer. Thanks for your help.
leo1

Postby sybille » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:19 am

Sure, but all I did was google "topaz digital signature pad" and then clicked on a "view all downloads" link on their site.
Not too hard... :)
If your problem has been solved, please edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line. Thanks!
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
sybille
Volunteer

Postby leo1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:16 am

Sure, but all I did was google "topaz digital signature pad" and then clicked on a "view all downloads" link on their site.
Not too hard...

I went there too but I don't know which one to download. Sorry I have never programed before, I was just trying to find something to get the pad to work in writer.
leo1

Postby sybille » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:34 am

Well, at this point, I think you've done the best thing, which is to email the topaz company.

You never know what the results will be. For example, I use a proprietary French grammar checker and dictionary program called Antidote RX that includes an extension for OpenOffice.org. I became interested in Antidote when I saw a friend using it on a Mac, but there was no Linux-compatible version at the time. I wrote to the company that makes the program and asked if there were any plans for a Linux version, and I think they said that maybe it would be possible if there were enough of a demand, something along those lines. Apparently, there was a demand - finally a Linux version was released, and it works just great.

All of that is to say that I think it is worth it to let companies know about these things, even if you can't be sure of what will happen. If you're wanting OOo compatibility, chances are that some other users may want it, as well.
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
sybille
Volunteer

Postby leo1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm

I got an e-mail back from Topaz and this is what they said:

There is no plugin offered for OpenOffice, no. you would have to write something to interface with OpenOffice using one of the SDKs Topaz offers. Thanks!

I have never done any programming before how hard is it to write a SDK?
leo1

Postby sybille » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:47 am

That's not such good news. :(

"SDK" stands for software development kit, and it's actually the tool that would be used to write an interface. I think that's basically a programming task - I'm sure I wouldn't be able to write such an interface myself.

I don't know what to tell you. You could write back to Topaz and ask them to please consider writing an interface for OOo, since more and more people are using it. If this is something you use in business, maybe it would be worth it to you to hire someone to write the program for you. At least there is a kit for a developer to use. Or maybe someone who is a programmer and has one of these signature pads will google up this thread and decide to take on the project.

Those are pretty much the options I see at this point.
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
sybille
Volunteer

Postby onlinesignaturepad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:46 am

you can try this virtual signature pad, which can be easily integrated on web pages to sign documents online using this online signature pad. here it is http://www.onlinesignaturepad.com
onlinesignaturepad

Return to UNO API and ODF