[Solved] Getting started with NetBeans and the OOo SDK

The Application Programming Interface and the OASIS Open Document Format

[Solved] Getting started with NetBeans and the OOo SDK

Postby Tim Grantham » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:19 am

I've installed NetBeans 6.8, OpenOffice 3.2, and the OpenOffice SDK 3.2.1.

I'm able to create a new OO SDK client application project. But the first time I build and run it in the IDE, it says it's running, but I have to manually kill it. On all subsequent runs, it appears to run briefly and then exits. At no time does it report an error. Adding the code from the OO SDK developer guide tutorials results in no change in behavior at all. Running the app from a command line in the dist directory fails with class not found exceptions.

The sample projects provided with NetBeans build and run just fine.

So anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim.
Last edited by Tim Grantham on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1
Windows 7 Professional
Tim Grantham

Re: Getting started with NetBeans and the OO SDK

Postby Tim Grantham » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 am

I should add that I'm using the NetBeans OpenOffice API 2.0.6 plug-in.
OpenOffice 4.1
Windows 7 Professional
Tim Grantham

Re: Getting started with NetBeans and the OOo SDK

Postby Tim Grantham » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:17 am

Solved ... no thanks to Sun/Oracle, which, due to its lack of specific information, caused me to waste most of two days trying to get it to work.

What Sun/Oracle doesn't tell anyone is that even though OpenOffice and the OpenOffice SDK are both available for 64-bit Linux, the Windows versions are 32-bit only. In addition, they don't tell you that, to create Windows OO apps with the SDK, you have to use the 32-bit version of the Java Development Kit, not the 64-bit version of the JDK.

Neither NetBeans IDE nor the JRE provided any error messages to indicate what the problem was. It was doubly confusing because the com.sun.star.lib.loader Loader class compiled and ran just fine with the 64-bit JDK; it was the app class that wouldn't run (thought it did compile without errors).

Now I suppose more experienced programmers might know all this, but why would Sun/Oracle want to annoy new programmers with this kind of carelessness? Don't they WANT to attract more developers?

:crazy:

Tim.
OpenOffice 4.1
Windows 7 Professional
Tim Grantham

Return to UNO API and ODF