[Solved] Spreadsheets keeps dropping

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

[Solved] Spreadsheets keeps dropping

Postby carllazar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Every time I open a new spreadsheet and save it, it keeps deleting itself. I have tried reinstalling open office and it does not help. Yet the older spread sheets I have do not self delete. I am not computer savvy as I am 77 years old, so if you answer please make it simple

Thanks

Carl
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open office 41. on windows 10

windows 10
carllazar

Re: Spreadsheets keeps dropping

Postby UnklDonald418 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Open a new spreadsheet, it should show a name in the upper left of the window, probably Untitiled 1.
Type something in at least one spreadsheet cell
From the menu select File > Save As and the Save As dialog should appear.
Up near the top of the dialog is a box showing the path to the directory where it is going to save the file. If you want to save it somewhere else then use center area of the dialog to navigate to the directory where you want to save your spreadsheet.
Type a new File name
Save as type: should show ODF Spreadshee (.ods) (*.ods). If it doesn't select that option from the menu.
Make sure there is a check mark in the box next to Automatic file name extension
Select Save.
Close the spreadsheet.
Now open a new spreadsheet.
From the menu select File > Recent Documents, your spreadsheet should be near the top of the list. Select it and it should open.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby carllazar » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Thank you sir for the quick reply, I tried it and it works.
Open office 41. on windows 10

windows 10
carllazar

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 pm

It is good practice to name a document (which you do by /File /Save As), of whatever sort, as soon as possible after commencing it. It is also essential to close it properly, paying attention to any message that tell you the document has been modified and suggesting that you Save it. A Save operation only Saves up to the current state of the document - it will not automatically Save future modifications - you must do this before closing the document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to MS Windows