LibreOffice files don't appear on jump list

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

LibreOffice files don't appear on jump list

Postby Ripcord » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:01 pm

I recently began using LibreOffice after having used Open Office for many years. I like some of the new features and I intend to continue using LibreOffice to open my ODF files. The only problem I'm having is that when I save a file from LibreOffice, it doesn't appear on my jump list under the Start menu (Windows 7.) It's not that big of a deal, but I've found the jump list to be convenient, especially for pinning files that I use often, and I'd like to use it with LibreOffice if it's possible. Is there a setting I can change so that recent LibreOffice files appear on the jump list?

One thing I've noticed is when I select a file from my Open Office jump list, it opens in the Open Office format rather than LibreOffice. But if I select that same file from the folder, it opens with LibreOffice. As far as I can tell, the two programs seem to be interchangeable but have different features.
Open Office 4.0.1 on Windows 7
Ripcord

Re: LibreOffice files don't appear on jump list

Postby Villeroy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:30 pm

If you open files from the Windows explorer they appear in the Windows history of recent files. If you open them from within a program they appear in the recent files history of the program.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:08 am

Ripcord wrote:One thing I've noticed is when I select a file from my Open Office jump list, it opens in the Open Office format rather than LibreOffice. But if I select that same file from the folder, it opens with LibreOffice. As far as I can tell, the two programs seem to be interchangeable but have different features.

Opening a file from a jump list opens the file with the program associated with the jump list, so opening a file on the OpenOffice jump list opens the file with OpenOffice. Opening a file from File Explorer opens the file using the default program associated with the file name extension of the file. In your case, LibreOffice is the default program, so double-clicking a file in File Explorer opens the file with LibreOffice.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Ripcord » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:21 am

Thanks, that makes sense. But once it's open in LibreOffice and saved again, how do I get it to appear on the jump list? The LibreOffice icon on my Start menu doesn't have any jump list.
Ripcord

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:33 am

menu:Files>Recent Documents opens the recent file history as a drop down list.
If you open the naked LibreOffice application instead of Writer, Calc etc. you get a welcome screen with thumbnail icons.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Ripcord » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 am

Thanks, I do get that screen, but I like the "pin" feature of the jump list so I can quickly open files that I use often... Why won't the LibreOffice files appear on the jump list?
Ripcord

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:04 pm

In order to get jump lists on the Taskbar icons, you may have to pin each LO module to the Taskbar instead of just LO. I can't verify this in Windows, but that's what I have to do using the KDE Desktop in Linux. AOO and LO icons pinned to the Task Manager in KDE don't have recent document lists. The icons for Writer, Calc, etc pinned to the Task Manager do have recent document lists.
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm

There may be a way to get a recent document list on the LO icon. On KDE, my default programs were initially set Writer, Calc, etc. I changed the default program to LO and recent files then started appearing on the LO icon on the Task Manager.
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:39 pm

I've found that in Windows, an application must be registered as a handler for a file type in order for those types of files to show up on the application's jump list. LO probably registered the individual LO modules as handlers, but not the overall LO app. If LO isn't registered as a handler, it may not show up on the list of suggested programs if you try to make LO the default program. In that case, try hold down the shift key and drag a file from Windows Explorer to the LO button on the Taskbar to open the file with LO. IIRC, that should register LO as a handler for files of that type. Does the document now appear on the jump list?
Bill
Volunteer

Return to MS Windows