[Solved] Crash when launching Calc .ods file (Writer OK)

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

[Solved] Crash when launching Calc .ods file (Writer OK)

Postby stanbonnet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Hello
I recently installed a new computer with Windows 10.
I wanted to use OpenOffice as I used it on my old computer in Windows 7 and Linux but I have a big problem with Calc files.
I can easily open a Writer file or any xls file. I can creat a calc .ods file and open it, but as soon as I open a Calc.ods file already on my computer (and created with my computer using either W7 or Linux), Open Office displays an empty range page and nothing happens (crash).
I uninstalled and installed Open Office after purging it but I get the same result.
I also tried LibreOffice and I have the exact same problem: I can open text files, but as soon as the program tries to open an ods file, it crashes.
I would like to point out that this problem occurs with any ods file, even the simplest ones (simple spreadsheet with a table)
Thank you for your help
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.7 - Windows 10
stanbonnet

Re: Crash when launching calc.ods file (writer OK)

Postby RoryOF » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:39 pm

There were reports that a Windows 10 update some time ago broke Calc; this was fixed by a later update. So I recommend that you make sure Windows 10 is fully updated and then restarted.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby RusselB » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Welcome to the Forums.
My first suggestion would be to create a new OpenOffice User Profile, as uninstalling/reinstalling usually doesn't touch the user profile.
If you want to try that, you can find more information here
I suspect that it's not a User Profile problem, though, as LibreOffice uses a different profile location, thus a problem with the OpenOffice User Profile should not affect LibreOffice, nor vice-versa.
With that option being, realistically, omitted, my next suggestion is to have you upload/attach one of the files that's causing this problem so that we can examine it.
I don't know if Windows Defender might be causing a problem, but it can't hurt for you to go through that tutorial, located here
Please give those tutorials a look through, and see if they help at all. If they don't help, then we will need to examine the spreadsheet structure of one of the offending spreadsheets.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby robleyd » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:15 am

Another diagnostic step would be to start Windows in safe mode and see if the problem goes away. If so then some detective work will be required to find out what service or program loaded by Windows, when not in safe mode, is causing the conflict with AOO/LO.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby stanbonnet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:17 am

Hello
Thanks for your advice
My Windows 10 version if fully updated
I did the 2 procedure: purging the config and authorizing and adding soffice.bin to the list of programs allowed by Windows Defender.
Unfortunately I still have the same problem.
I am adding none of the file I am trying to open.
Thanks
Attachments
2019 IR Versement Lo.ods
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
stanbonnet

Postby RoryOF » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:19 am

Opened correctly for me, with no problems. Try Windows Safe mode as robleyd suggests.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby RusselB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 am

No problems opening the attached file here. I'm seconding the suggestion of Windows Safe Mode.
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 am

No problems with your file.

Try opening this file.
Attachments
test.ods
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby stanbonnet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:15 am

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Try opening this file.

I have no problem to open this file (as well as I have no problem to open Calc file I newly created). The problem is with the old files inherited from Linux / W7.
Good news is: I can open the files when launching W10 in safe mode.
But I have no idea how to do the "detective" work.
Thanks for your thought
stanbonnet

Postby robleyd » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 am

Do you have any antivirus or anti-malware programs running? Try temporarily disabling them one at a time and see whether they are causing the problem. Do you have any other 'utilities' such as a clipboard manager?
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby RusselB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:00 am

For detective work, use Ctlr+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
Select Processes, then (with pen/pencil and paper) write down the names of the processes you see in that list (if necessary, scroll through the list so you get them all).
Next restart your computer. If the first step was done in Safe Mode, then use normal start-up... If it was in normal start-up, then use Safe Mode.
Repeat the first two steps.
Now look at the lists of processes and eliminate the one's that are the same.
It's one (or more) of the processes that are from the bigger list that is/are causing the problem.
RusselB

Postby John_Ha » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 am

The files may be blocked as they come from a different PC. This would explain why neither LO nor AOO will open them.

It is a property of the file not of AOO. Right-click the files > left click Properties and click UNBLOCK.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby stanbonnet » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Hello
Thanks to your great advice and through the detective work, I identified the print spooler as being the cause of the problem. I desinstalled my printer and it's now working.
I still do not understand when the spooler blocked Open Office for somes files (new .ods) and not all, but I am glad to have Open Office back operational.
Thanks for your support, great to have this kind of communities
stanbonnet

Postby RoryOF » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm

You could now try reinstalling the printer; sometimes OpenOffice interacts with a printer installation; often this shows up as inability to print from OpenOffice, and reinstalling the printer sorts this out.
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

It seems that Windows 10 includes a malware component :bravo: in it which often installs the wrong printer driver as part of a compulsory upgrade.

stanbonnet wrote:Try opening this file.
I have no problem to open this file (as well as I have no problem to open Calc file I newly created). The problem is with the old files inherited from Linux / W7.

I wonder whether these old files had a printer name stored in the file because they had been printed and the problem was caused by the stored printer and actual printer conflicting?

John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to MS Windows