[Solved] JRE got the OpenOffice possessed by the devil

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

[Solved] JRE got the OpenOffice possessed by the devil

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:12 am

Hi folks,

It's past 3 AM, so I wasn't in my best mood to make it short and sweet. The situation is fairly simple and straightforward, I had an OpenOffice 4.1.3 for months now running on my Windows 10, but I got ticked off by the inability to update extensions due to server errors, so I thought, why not get the latest release, 4.1.7?

That's when the sh*t hit the fan. It said that the JRE is outdated, so I choose a new one in Tools/Options. Obviously I wouldn't be here if the solution were that easy. When I compare this to Catch 22, where the insanity is that sanest person tries to avoid something by feigning being insane only to realize, he's the only sane one, the ghost in the machine acquired hold of 4.1.7.

This is because when I start the program, it warns me about the issue (and yes, I've updated Java to the current edition, also used Windows offline installer, as suggested in known issues) but instead of just buzzing off, and letting me into Tools, so that I can change it... like the good old days of Windows 95, the error message just keeps popping up.

In other words, that's a bug. I thought you should know about it. What I'm seeking is a solution to remove the nagging of the popping up of the error message, so I can get on with my work.
Last edited by debrecenisrac37 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openoffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 10
debrecenisrac37

Re: JRE got the OpenOffice possessed by the devil

Postby RusselB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:27 am

Welcome to the Forums.
It sounds like you might need to do an uninstall of the 32 bit Java, then re-install it.
I recommend doing this while OpenOffice is closed, or better yet, do a reboot after uninstalling and after reinstalling the 32 bit java.
If you still have problems, as a work-around, you could download, install, and use LibreOffice
LibreOffice is a 64 bit project, thus the 64 bit versions of Java will work with it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:31 am

Hi,

Actually I'm downloading LibreOffice now exactly because I want to finish my writing project tomorrow. I'm not a programmer, I concede to that, but as a layman I don't think the 32-bit Java is the problem, since the error popup came to life as I upgraded to 4.1.7. It's massively unnerving that the error message can't be killed and thus I can't go into settings to choose the JRE.

Anyhow, it half past 3 in the morning, so I appreciate any replies, but I'll only be able to respond after I wake up.
debrecenisrac37

Postby RusselB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 am

It would be helpful if you could give us a screen shot of the error message, or the exact text if you have trouble doing a screenshot.
No worries on waiting for replies...that's actually the norm.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Bidouille » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am

debrecenisrac37 wrote: It said that the JRE is outdated

What is the version?
I have a similar problem with a very old JRE (v6 from Sun).
Unable to update or uninstall from Windows Control panel.

Only solution is to download last Oracle JRE 32-bits and install it.
This will detect and suggest to remove old versions.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Bidouille wrote:
debrecenisrac37 wrote: It said that the JRE is outdated

What is the version?
I have a similar problem with a very old JRE (v6 from Sun).
Unable to update or uninstall from Windows Control panel.

Only solution is to download last Oracle JRE 32-bits and install it.
This will detect and suggest to remove old versions.

As I wrote, it was very late at night when I started the topic at my wit's end, therefore I had neither the patience nor the wherewithal to go into specifics. As it says "on the tin", I have a 4.1.7 running on a Windows 10, and my first step was to look into the issue, and what Apache is offering under known issues. That is how I installed the 32-bit offline version and also removed older versions.

Now technically this should have been the end of the story, I just go into into Settings and apply the JRE required. Only instead what it leaves me with is a recurring, unkillable error message that I should go into Tools and change the JRE. I've done things "by the book", so now I'm looking for a solution to this bug.
debrecenisrac37

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Best solution is LibreOffice simply because it is an actively developed application constantly adapting to changing environments such as 64-bit systems. OpenOffice is dying painfully.

The second best solution is to disable the use of Java and use OpenOffice without Java. It simply works unless you really need one of those features that depend on Java which is rather unlikely.
If you can't get to the options dialog, close the office (including the icon on the sys tray!!!), paste %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4\user\config into the address bar of your WIndows file explorer and open the javasettings file with a text editor (notepad or whatever).
Find this entry:
<enabled xsi:nil="false">true</enabled>
change the true to false, save the file and start OpenOffice again.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Villeroy wrote:Best solution is LibreOffice simply because it is an actively developed application constantly adapting to changing environments such as 64-bit systems. OpenOffice is dying painfully.

The second best solution is to disable the use of Java and use OpenOffice without Java. It simply works unless you really need one of those features that depend on Java which is rather unlikely.
If you can't get to the options dialog, close the office (including the icon on the sys tray!!!), paste %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4\user\config into the address bar of your WIndows file explorer and open the javasettings file with a text editor (notepad or whatever).
Find this entry:
<enabled xsi:nil="false">true</enabled>
change the true to false, save the file and start OpenOffice again.

Thank you for you the tip, but that wasn't the solution, the same unkillable error messagestill pops up after saving the changed Java settings file.
debrecenisrac37

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Forget OpenOffice and install its successor.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:40 pm

So,

I cleaned the registry, removed the 4.1.7 Hungarian version under the working assumption the localized version may be faulty, removed Java altogether, downloaded 4.1.7 the US version, and the same thing happens. At this point I'm only interested in solving this issue. As it stands, it tells me that the JRE needs to be chosen in Tolls yet it doesn't let me into Tools. Isn't there a way to access Tools in some other way?
debrecenisrac37

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:28 pm

The successor to OpenOffice is LibreOffice.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm

It must be a 32 bit Java, which will install and run alongside Win 10's 64 bit Java. If it won't let you into Tools to select the path to the 32 bit Java (which it won't find - you have to hand enter the path)the something else is wrong.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:32 pm

RoryOF wrote:It must be a 32 bit Java, which will install and run alongside Win 10's 64 bit Java. If it won't let you into Tools to select the path to the 32 bit Java (which it won't find - you have to hand enter the path)the something else is wrong.

I've removed Java from my PC, and it still sent the same error message and doesn't let me into Tools. For me personally LibreOffice is a so-so alternative, since as I'm writing large bodies of text, there are some extension that only exist (yet) for OpenOffice. Plus, this is persistent, so through solving my issue, I'd like to help others and the developers as well.
debrecenisrac37

Postby RoryOF » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:47 pm

When you stat OpenOffice, is the Tools menu item black or ghosted? The presence or absence of that menu item is nothing to do with Java.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:53 pm

RoryOF wrote:When you stat OpenOffice, is the Tools menu item black or ghosted? The presence or absence of that menu item is nothing to do with Java.

No. Here's what happens: start OpenOffice, then shortly the error message about the JRE comes up. The functions aren't idle or ghosted, it's the error message's precedence that doesn't allow me to do anything else. It doesn't matter if I OK it, if I try to close it, it just keeps popping up, doesn't even let me a few seconds to go into Tools to see what the business is. Thus, it'd be nice if the error message could be switched off, or Tools could be reached by a command prompt.
debrecenisrac37

Postby RoryOF » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Do you have any extensions installed? Perhaps some of these require Java. Also, if you haven't done so, I suggest you download a 32 bit Java and install it at Windows System level. I found this address for a 32 bit Java
https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?bundleId=240726_5b13a193868b4bf28bcb45c792fce896

After downloading and installing that Java, I suggest you restart Windows, then try OpenOffice again.
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:01 pm

A vanilla installation of AOO doesn't require Java and no error message should pop up unless you do something that does require Java. Are you using an extension that requires Java? Are you using some other feature in AOO that requires Java?

There was a bug in AOO 4.1.3 which caused Java to not be recognized by AOO, but under that bug, you should not have been able to even see Java in Tools > Options. I reported that bug and it was fixed in AOO 4.1.4. Since you can select Java in Tools > Options, then this is probably not a regression of that bug. Another possibility is that Windows 10 or something else on your computer is blocking Java from working after it has been called by AOO. That would be my best guess about the cause of the problem. Have you checked your Windows Defender, antivirus, and ransomware protection settings? Have you tried running some other programs that require Java?

To help analyze the problem, please post a screen shot of the error message. I don't recall ever seeing a message from AOO about Java being "outdated" when I was using Window.

The discussion about the bug in AOO 4.1.3 is here: [Solved] JRE not found (Java 8)
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

This may be an attempt to infect your computer. A Google search turned up information about a fake "Outdated Java" message appearing on Windows 10:

Fixing “Outdated Java” Fake Message In Windows 10 Operating System

How to fix outdated Java messages on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:40 pm

RoryOF wrote:Do you have any extensions installed? Perhaps some of these require Java. Also, if you haven't done so, I suggest you download a 32 bit Java and install it at Windows System level. I found this address for a 32 bit Java
https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?bundleId=240726_5b13a193868b4bf28bcb45c792fce896

After downloading and installing that Java, I suggest you restart Windows, then try OpenOffice again.

My request was invalid as I'm assuming I'd need to register on the Oracle website to get that version.
debrecenisrac37

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Bill wrote:A vanilla installation of AOO doesn't require Java and no error message should pop up unless you do something that does require Java. Are you using an extension that requires Java? Are you using some other feature in AOO that requires Java?

There was a bug in AOO 4.1.3 which caused Java to not be recognized by AOO, but under that bug, you should not have been able to even see Java in Tools > Options. I reported that bug and it was fixed in AOO 4.1.4. Since you can select Java in Tools > Options, then this is probably not a regression of that bug. Another possibility is that Windows 10 or something else on your computer is blocking Java from working after it has been called by AOO. That would be my best guess about the cause of the problem. Have you checked your Windows Defender, antivirus, and ransomware protection settings? Have you tried running some other programs that require Java?

To help analyze the problem, please post a screen shot of the error message. I don't recall ever seeing a message from AOO about Java being "outdated" when I was using Window.

The discussion about the bug in AOO 4.1.3 is here: [Solved] JRE not found (Java 8)

I've enclosed the picture, you need to enlarge it. 3 reasons why this isn't a ransomware: one, I use Norton Internet Security, two, I've installed it this time with ignoring having to close Firefox (in the hopes a clashing extension in the browser is the root problem) and three, probably the most u-important of all, the installer comes from the Apache website. Were it infected, it would be a huge security risk. Nah, it's just the program is a d*ck.

Since I had to downsize the picture, I'd have to make a different screenshot to show that the menu in OpenOffice isn't idle, just inaccessible due to this error message.
Attachments
jre devil.jpg
Needs enlargement
debrecenisrac37

Postby RoryOF » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Here is the screen you should see, and the file to download highlighted

Java.png
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

I now suspect that an installed extension may be causing the posted message to keep popping up. If that's the case, then you need to remove the extension to stop the error message from appearing. You can remove the extensions by resetting the user profile.

To reset the user profile folder, close AOO, paste %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer address bar and press Enter. Rename the user folder to userold. Restart AOO. A new user profile will be created with the default settings and no extensions. The error message should not pop up. Go to Tools > Options and select the current version of Java, then reinstall the extensions.
Bill
Volunteer

Postby debrecenisrac37 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Bill wrote:I now suspect that an installed extension may be causing the posted message to keep popping up. If that's the case, then you need to remove the extension to stop the error message from appearing. You can remove the extensions by resetting the user profile.

To reset the user profile folder, close AOO, paste %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer address bar and press Enter. Rename the user folder to userold. Restart AOO. A new user profile will be created with the default settings and no extensions. The error message should not pop up. Go to Tools > Options and select the current version of Java, then reinstall the extensions.

Man,

I wish I could buy you a cold one, because this is the solution. Herewith, if allowed I'd like to suggest to development to possibly inform users that certain extensions within AOO might cause the program to go haywire. All in all, the issue is solved, thanks for you all your help.
debrecenisrac37

Return to MS Windows