Saving forms as documents in database

Discuss the database features

Saving forms as documents in database

Postby deki » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to working with bases and sorry about my English.
I have created some fillable forms and tables from where the data is filled by users. Is it possible to save filled forms as documents within the database itself? Is it possible to use Base as a simple document management program?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
deki

Re: Saving forms as documents in database

Postby UnklDonald418 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 pm

It isn't entirely clear what you are asking.
If the forms you are referring to are Base forms, then there is no reason to store individual form documents because they can be regenerated as needed, based on data saved in the database tables.
If the forms you are referring to are external documents then you could design a database that would allow you to track various attributes of those documents such as file location, author, creation date, subject matter, etc. However, you would need to enter all that data, Base will not parse the documents and extract that data automatically.
To see some simple working databases, at the top of this forum page select Base Tutorials and on that page select Database Examples.

Here is a tutorial on database design
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/0/02/Base_tutorial.pdf
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby deki » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:26 am

Thank you for answer.
I created several templates with drop-down lists and some other changeable fields in Writer. User should fill those fields (from database tables) and print, save and sort created documents. But all open source documents management software is to complicated for them and I see somewhere very simple document management in ms access database. Can something like this be done in Base?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
deki

Postby UnklDonald418 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:35 am

There isn't much that MS Access can do that Base can't, so I'm sure it would be possible to design document management system using Base.
However, MS Access provides more GUI development tools than Base, When using Base you actually have to learn how to design tables and relationships and forms and write SQL statements. There are a few Base Wizards but they have limited capabilities.
Database design is not intuitive, so the real question becomes, are you willing to put in the time and effort to learn to design a database with the tool set available in Base?

You might be able to import the table structure from the MS Access database you found into a Base database, but you will likely need to make a few changes. For instance, MS Access allows you to design and use tables that have no Primary Key. A Base table without a Primay Key is read only, it can't be edited. It's not difficult to add a Primary Key, but just be aware that they are required.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:20 pm

I always use forms in stand-alone documents because they are easier to use than a Base document. You can save them anywhere you want and access them through ordinary desktop links You should always save the containing form documents read-only, so the user never needs to bother about saving anything anywhere. The forms in read-only documents still edit the connected database tables. Stand-alone forms can open each other by means of simple hyperlinks or URL buttons. Embedded forms would require macro code to be opened from other forms.

When you create a new Base form via menu:Insert>Form... you always get a Writer document that is embedded in the Base document. There is also a command menu:Insert>Folder... which lets you organize embedded forms in a simple folder hierarchy. If I had to move a stand-alone form into an embedded form, I would create empty embedded form, open the source form in edit mode, copy all the shapes and paste them into the new embedded form. The resulting form will not work before you open the form navigator and re-organize the logical form structure.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Base