[Solved] Strange number of backups on WIN10 machine

Discuss the database features

[Solved] Strange number of backups on WIN10 machine

Postby gkick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 am

Before yesterday I have never backed up anything in Base. Today I check where todays backup is and I find literally 100s of backups spanning over a period of 2 month in the user directory ?
Prior to splitting the db to BE HSQL 2.5 office crashed 3 or 4 times a day but this does not add up to hundreds of backups. Funny enough I also found several backups of my flightgear project which I never backed up because I use Github. But flightgear like office tends to crash frequently.
For now as I am in play learn mode the dbs consume hardly any space, but once the dbs grow that will eat up a fair bit of disk space.
Is this a bug, can other windows user do a search for 'backup' on their machines to check if there is an accumulation as well.
Maybe its just my laptop,but I am puzzled, anything I can check in the script file?
Attachments
wow.JPG
Last edited by gkick on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10 HSQL 2.51 backend
gkick

Re: Strange number of backups on WIN10 machine

Postby Villeroy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 pm

From time to time I delete those backups to trash bin. This stops when your database is finished and you start using it without adding queries, forms and reports. Are those gaming files really database documents? Can you open them with a zip tool. If not, they are something else with the same .odb name extension. All office documents are zipped XML.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby UnklDonald418 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:48 pm

I have adopted the habit of checking the directory shown at Tools>Options>Paths>Backups whenever I experience a crash in OO especially when it involves an open Base document. It appears that the crashes often occur in a loop that creates backup files.
After a recent crash I found 5144 empty .odb files. I recall some cases where there were many more than that.
As Villeroy advised, just delete them.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby gkick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 pm

Thank you both for your replies. A Villeroy, Flightgear uses a combination of xml and nasal as programming languages, but no I can not open the files, sometimes there is no extension shown, sometimes with base backups as well the filesize shows up as 0 and based on UnclDonalds post I ll add it to the category of house keeping. Just as a matter of curiousity does this happen on Ubuntu or Macs as well?
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10 HSQL 2.51 backend
gkick

Return to Base