[SOLVED] - Label sheet has the same name in each label.

Discuss the database features

[SOLVED] - Label sheet has the same name in each label.

Postby i75Dave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:52 pm

I am attempting to create address mailing labels from a simple Calc (.ods) spreadsheet with six columns:

A=Name, B=Address1, C=Address2, D=City, E=State & F=Zip

After creating the database file, I load the database label screen (File->New->Label) and select the new database by name, chose "Sheet1" in the next drop down menu and choosing the Avery label format (5163). I then populate the various address fields on to the label on the left side of the display.

But when I attempt to print the labels, I end up with the first label sheet with the same name and address (first row entry in my spreadsheet) on each label, the second label sheet with the second row entry in the spreadsheet on all the labels, and so on.

I suspect I have an incorrect setting somewhere.

Can somebody help me so I only get one label for each spreadsheet row.

Thanks,

Dave
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Win 7 64bit
i75Dave

Re: Label sheet has the same name in each label.

Postby John_Ha » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:00 am

See full instructions in Chapter 11 - Using Mail Merge of the Writer Guide. Or search the forum with labels.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby i75Dave » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Dear John (or anybody else who can help),

Thanks for your response but am still having difficulty producing labels from a simple 6 column spreadsheet. As suggested I reviewed the instructions on Printing Mailing Labels in Chapter 11 and followed them to the letter.

I chose File -> New -> Labels and the "Labels" screen appeared. But the large Label window to the left of the screen had data from a previous attempt to create a label. Also, the "Address box was checked - is this correct?

"Synchronise contents" was also checked under Options.

UNder "Database," I Switched to the one I wished to use hoping these old entries would disappear - they didn't.

I then selected "Sheet 1" - again the old entries remained.

Next, I tried moving fields from my DB into the window - no problem here they just tagged along behind the old entries.

Then I triedremoving the old entries by slecting and using the delete key. The program stopped operating and then returned me to my desktop.

Is there a command I can used for cleaning the old data fields from the label window?

Where are database files stored? Perhaps I should delete the one which is causing this trouble.

Perhaps I should uninstall OO and then re-install?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Dave
i75Dave

Postby RPG » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 pm

i75Dave wrote:"Synchronise contents" was also checked under Options.
Must not been checked.

Press help button for information.
LibreOffice 6.2.5.2 on openSUSE Leap 15
RPG
Volunteer

Postby dreamquartz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Your sheet should be available under: Insert->Field->More Fields->Database
Create sheet with adding fields in 1st card (top-left), where "Type" must be "Mail merge fields".
The following step will create the different names!
Now you have to insert "Next record" (see under "Type") after the last field. This will add a small grey rectangle. It is hard to see, but if you zoom in first, before inserting "Next record", you will see it added.
Now sync all labels. Now all the labels will show the same as what you created in label 1.
Print to a file first so you can verify the results.

Good Luck

Dream
LO 6.x and OO 4.x on Windows 7 PRO & Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
dreamquartz

Postby i75Dave » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks to all. I finally got the label template built but had to use LibreOfficwe Writer since my OO installation seemed defective. Will reinstall when I have time.
A BIG thank you to RPG - turning off Sync set me off on the road to success.
Cheers,
Dave.
i75Dave

Postby i75Dave » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 pm

I want to mark this thread as SOLVED, but cannot find the procedure to do this.
i75Dave

Return to Base