Custom Label Printing

Discuss the database features

Custom Label Printing

Postby DaveServo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:59 am

I THINK this is where I should be posting this. I'm an almost complete beginner when it comes to databases. I've got a little experience with spreadsheets. Here's what I'd like to do:

I'm trying to print labels for comic books. For instance, I'd start typing a title in that would (hopefully) show me less options the more letters I typed. I would choose the specific title and series then I'd like to be able to either type or choose an issue number. This would bring up any specific information about that issue with the option of including on the label. I would click a button to have it be added to the label sheet and then be brought back to the start for the next one and continue until the sheet was full. Additionally, I would like to be able to add issues and information if it wasn't already in the database.
Is this something that I can do with Base or would I need additional software/coding for the interface?
OpenOffice 3.0.1 on Windows XP
DaveServo

Re: Custom Label Printing

Postby UnklDonald418 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Yes, you can print labels using data stored in a Base database, but it won't quite work the way you envision it. You won't be able to add one label at a time to a label page.
Base forms allow the user to enter/edit data stored in database tables. Those forms can have Listbox and Combobox controls that provide auto-complete functionality.
Once the data is entered into the database you can select File>New>Labels to open a Label dialog where you can choose from a number of options, including the label format plus which and where database fields will appear on the labels.
It you only want to print selected rows from your database then rather than printing directly from the table you can use a query to filter the rows to be printed.
Once the Label dialog is completed it generates a template on a Writer page.
It isn't until you print the Writer page that the template fields are filled with data from the database.
If you need more detailed help, upload a sample database.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Return to Base